Intro
The Pharisees are at it again but, this time, they’re trying to do Jesus a
favor.  Jesus was likely on the eastern side of the Jordan River: Herod’s home
ground.  So, the Pharisees come to Jesus with an insider’s tip: “Herod wants to
kill You!  Go, get away from here!”  Such irony, for the Pharisees also want to
kill Jesus.  They’d been plotting such a plan for about a year.  They just
couldn’t figure out how and when.

Main Body
Religion and politics, such a twisted partnership.  The Church begins to act as
the state and the state as the Church.  The result?  All too often it’s sin and
evil.  Watch out when religion and politics get together!  We’ll see plenty of
that in this election season.

The scheming politician, Herod, and the religious Pharisees.  They hate each
other with a passion, but they do have something in common.  Both hate Jesus,
and both want Him dead.  Herod hates Him for being a threat to his throne; the
Pharisees for being a threat to their religion.  Both want Jesus dead, forever
removed from their lives.

Israel had a nasty reputation when it came to God’s prophets.  For example,
tradition tells us Prophet Isaiah died a martyr’s death, cut in half while
shoved inside a hollow log in Jerusalem.  Political and religious authorities
arrested Prophet Jeremiah, threw him into a pit, and burned his books.  He felt
the burn of their wrath because they didn’t like what he preached.  That was
our Old-Testament reading for today.

Man-made religion and politics seek to silence the Word, wanting to kill to
Jesus.  What good is a king who rides in humility or dies for His people, even
His enemies?  Who needs a king without a palace, royal robes, or a crown—except
one made of thorns?  Not the health-and-wealth, name-it-and-claim-it religions;
not the my-way-or-the-highway posturing of politics.

But Jesus remains undaunted.  He’s the Lord, and will lay down His life and
take up again.  Our Lord will die—but it will be on His terms.  Once, a crowd
tried to throw Jesus off a cliff.  He slipped through without a scratch.  He
runs the show.  Last week, you heard how Jesus resisted the devil in the desert
with nothing but the Word.

So, the One, who resisted the Evil One with nothing but the Word, need not fear
from someone such as Herod.  “Tell that fox, ‘I am driving out demons and
healing today and tomorrow; and on the third day, I will complete my work.’”

The third day.  Was Jesus thinking of His resurrection?  You can’t help but
think so.  Jesus recognized that religion and politics would form an evil
partnership to kill Him.  He also knew He would rise on the third day,
defeating Death, once for all.  And it would happen on His timetable, not
Herod’s.  Through Jesus’ death, God would not only outfox old Herod, but even
sin, death, the devil, and the Law.

A murderous king doesn’t deter Jesus.  He’s the Lord of lords and the King
above all kings.  A single word from His mouth is stronger than all the might
and majesty of man—put together.  On His terms, He chooses to go to Jerusalem,
the ancient seat of Israel’s religious and political power.

Jerusalem was the city of palace and Temple, of kings and clergy.  Even before
Israel existed, Melchizedek, that strange Christ-figure ruled as king and
priest in Jerusalem when Abraham walked the earth.  King David later built the
king’s palace and declared Jerusalem as Israel’s capital city.  Solomon built
the Temple.  King and priest, crown and altar: Politics and religion formed the
dust and mortar of Jerusalem’s streets.

Jesus also speaks a word for the Pharisees, for He grasped what was on their
minds.  He recognizes their plot to kill Him, as well.  All this talk about His
safety is just a smoke screen.  But first, Jesus repeats something He wants no
one to miss: “I must press on today, tomorrow, and the next day…”  The next
day?  There it is again: that’s the third day!  Jesus says much about the third
day, doesn’t He?

Then comes the word He saves for the Pharisees: “It’s impossible for a prophet
to perish outside of Jerusalem.”  Jesus lets them understand that He’s on to
their game.  He sees what’s going on in their minds.  They were trying to push
Him into Jerusalem where they could seize and kill Him.

Jerusalem had a reputation for persecuting the prophets.  So, if a prophet is
going to die, it will be in Jerusalem.  Jerusalem: The place where prophets die
a martyr’s death.  Recognizing that Jerusalem will live up to its reputation,
there Jesus goes.

Such love!  Jesus chooses to go to Jerusalem, knowing it will cost Him His
life.  Our Lord loves His enemies to the end.  He loves the Pharisees, Herod,
and even us.  Is that surprising?  Religious and political power games also
entrap us, not just them.

Jesus looks at Jerusalem with eternal eyes, seeing what’s in store, and He
laments.  His people will reject the Word, the prophet, even the Messiah.  His
heart breaks and His eyes weep: “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the
prophets and stone those sent to you!  How often I wanted to gather your
children as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were unwilling!”

Jesus is the loving, merciful, and gracious heart of God in human flesh.  Jesus
opens His arms as a mother hen gathers her wayward and wandering chicks.  He
wants them all—the religious and the unreligious, the powerful and the
powerless.  He came to save them all, even though they don’t want His
salvation.

Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world—and if the world
doesn’t want its sin taken away, He will still go forth to die.  “God proves
His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us”
(Romans 5:8).

Lent is a fitting time to admit the harsh reality that a Pharisee and a Herod
is in each one of us.  Like them, we are always trying to orchestrate life our
way.  We want to be little gods in place of God, exerting our wills to control
others—and even, if it were possible, to control God.  We seize the political
hammer to manipulate and control others by power or force.  Oh yes, the
Pharisee and Herod are alive and well in each one of us.  We call it our sinful
flesh, the “old Adam,” the original sinner.

Like Jerusalem, we were not willing.  It’s Jesus’ warning to each of us.  Don’t
presume on the mercies of God.  Don’t assume, “We can repent tomorrow or the
next day.”  Today is the time to repent; today is the day of your salvation.
Those tears of Jesus, which He grieves for the Holy City, He also sheds for His
Church, even for you.

Whenever we reject the Word for human-centered programs, Jesus weeps.  Whenever
we rely on the political institutions within the Church to do what God wants to
do through His Word, He weeps.   Jesus grieves when we allow our worship
preferences to push aside His preferences for us.

Undaunted, Jesus still gathers us.  Raised on the cross, He pulls all people to
Himself, even those who want Him killed and gone.  Jesus doesn’t just grieve
over Jerusalem.  He even weeps over our rejections and denials.

Jerusalem was a city always awash in “innocent blood.”  So, who better to go
there to face His death than Jesus—sinless, innocent, and incarnate.  Innocent
blood soaked into Jerusalem’s streets.  Pilate washed his hands and deflected
his guilt: “I am innocent of this man’s blood” (Matthew 27:24).

Judas threw the betrayer’s silver back at the priests who gave it to him.
Blood-stained it was, for he had betrayed innocent blood.  The priests took the
silver and bought a Field of Blood with it.  The mob wanted a crucified Jesus:
“His blood be on us—and our children!” (Matthew 27:25).

Jerusalem’s history is a bloody history—sacrificial blood, lambs of Passover,
the blood of the prophets—and the blood of Jesus, which takes away the sin of
the word.  So, in that history, we also see the history of God dealing with a
fallen and sinful humanity.

Jerusalem shows us the history of sin and rebellion; of hard-heartedness,
rejection of the Word, and the prophets who preached Him.  It’s also the
history of God’s mercy and grace for us sinful creatures.  It’s the history of
the Word made Flesh, who faced rejection so we could delight in God’s
acceptance.  Jesus’ blood honors the blood of the prophets, spilled into
Jerusalem’s dust.  For only He fulfills what they prophesied.

And yet, Jerusalem’s future is a bright one.  The next time the Holy City shows
up in the Scriptures, she descends from heaven, a beautiful bride adorned for
her wedding day.  Jerusalem is the city God builds, not the city that we build.
 She is the redeemed and restored Jerusalem, raised from the dead.

The blood of the Lamb atones for Jerusalem’s murders.  Pure gold now paves her
streets, once littered with stones, hurled in hatred.  The prophets and
apostles who died there are not her firm foundation.  Christ is: He is her
Light and her Life!

You’re a citizen of that free city.  Your Baptism is your citizenship papers.
“Our citizenship is in heaven,” the Apostle wrote to the Philippians.  You’re
getting a foretaste of that, as the preached Word enters your ears; even more,
when our Lord’s body and blood touches your sin-parched lips.  For 25 years,
here at Christ Our Savior Lutheran Church, God has blessed you with the
preached Word and His Sacraments.  Blessed by such, we rejoice: “Blessed is He
who comes in the Name of the Lord.”

Conclusion
The Divine Service points us to a day, THE Day, which will end all man-made
religion and politics.  On that Day, Jesus will return and transform your lowly
body to be like His glorious body.  Redeemed and raised, His divinity will
shine in and through you in both soul—and body!  “Blessed is He who comes in
the Name of the Lord!”  For He comes to save even the likes of you and me.
Amen.