Intro
Above His head, a placard hung: “This is the king of the Jews.”  Is a king
hanging dead on a cross?  And what respect for such royalty did the Jewish
leaders show to this king?  Somehow, they convinced the Romans to carry out
their crooked deed.  They mocked Jesus with their mouths, scourged Him with
their cutting whips, and crucified Him on a splintered cross.

Main Body
Jesus is no ordinary king, for He came into this world to save the world.  Such
redemption comes without the fame and fortune of royalty—unless it originates
from the divine royalty of the crucified Christ.  For He is the King of all
Kings and Lord of all Lords, and what He does is enough, even if we find it
unfitting for a king.

How often do we put our hopes in what this world promises and not in the
Savior, who created the world?  And this world needs saving, for its broken
ways twist us at every turn.  Recession and depression cast their gloom, with
hardship and heartache to follow.  Trying times tempt us to commit desperate
deeds.

The seduction is always the same.  Sin comes calling and lures down a
self-destroying road.  The hope wraps itself within a lie and veils itself in
false promises.  Addictions do not cure us but only hide our ailments.
Devastation comes our way, and we thrash about, grasping in desperation.  We
burn down the house with a sin-infected madness.  We trade in the sure promise
of salvation for the deceits of damnation.

Real hope and true salvation come only through one King—the one nailed to the
cross, whom others derided as “The King of the Jews.”  This King chose to give
up the royal treatment of heaven, stooping down to this earth to endure a
criminal’s death.  Why?  So you and I could become royalty.  “The Son of Man
did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for
the many” (Mark 10:45).

Day in and day out, as we live in a world laden with despair, God reserves a
place where He brings us hope and salvation.  Week in and week out, as our
society lurches toward insanity, with lies screeching in our ears, God still
preserves a place where He speaks truth, hope, and salvation into our ears.
This place is the Divine Service.

God comes to us in this place, here, now—and so the Divine Service becomes our
foundation in life.  God, who is the Foundation of our faith, is present,
delivering life and salvation.  The Church’s liturgy, hymns, and sermons
breathe out the hope and salvation God gives to us.  We exist in this place and
time to receive, but also to become, the dispensary of God’s eternal medicine
for a sin-infected world.

Who God is, defines our mission?  Through His Church, this congregation, He
delivers hope, real and eternal, as Jesus comes to us through Word and
Sacrament.  The Church proclaims the old, old story of Jesus, which never gets
old.  We just think it does, but Jesus comes to us with life ever anew, giving
us what we need, whether we recognize this truth or not.

Disciple by baptizing and teaching: A commanded task Jesus gave to His first
pastors of the Church (Matthew 28:19-20).  So, to this day, the Church exists
to be the place where water and God’s Spirit give people birth from above (John
3:3, 5), so they can believe in Christ and not suffer eternal death (John
3:16).

Preach repentance into the forgiveness of sin, Jesus spoke to His Apostles
(Luke 24:27).  Jesus told those whom He sent: “Whoever listens to you listens
to me.” (Luke 10:16).  So, every week, the pastor points out some way you stray
from God so the Holy Spirit can bring you back, so Christ sits on His throne as
King once more.

“Take and eat, take and drink,” and “Do this”: words from our Lord before He
died.  Why?  “For the forgiveness of sin” (Matthew 26:28).  How can forgiveness
come to us in bread and wine?  King Jesus is in His Supper, in His body and
blood, as He says.  In every Divine Service, Jesus gives us His New Covenant,
His Supper.  Our King gives His New-Covenant meal to His New-Covenant people
when they gather in His name.

The worship life of Christ’s Church shapes the life and growth of His people.
Jesus, being present among His people, moves His people to action in the world.
 The first generation after Jesus’ resurrection gathered around “the Apostles
teaching,” the “fellowship” (Acts 2:42), “baptism” (Acts 2:38), “the breaking
of bread,” and “the Prayers” (Acts 2:42).  What happened?  Scripture reveals:
“The Lord added to their number those who were being saved” (Acts 2:47).

We continue to walk in the steps of those first believers to this day, for we
trust in the same Lord.  The Divine Service is where God works, giving life and
movement to His Church, for Jesus is here as He promises.  What He gives us
moves us forward in faith and forgiveness.  We leave this place, going into the
world, becoming the face of Jesus to others.  By God’s grace, He adds to our
number those whom He saves.

Distorted understandings and words meant to harm throw us into chaos and
confusion.  They lead us into selfishness and sin.  But our Lord comes with
another Word, words from Him and of Him, week in and week out, through the
Divine Service.  Where the anxieties of insecurity and the darkness of
depression leave us crippled and hopeless, the Word of God speaks comfort and
hope.

Listen again to these words from our epistle reading.  “God rescued us from the
dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, by
whom we are set free through the forgiveness of sins….  He is also the head of
the body, the Church” (Colossians 1:13-14, 18).

He is the head of what?  Jesus is the head of the Church, which means He is
also the head of this congregation.  Anything we do, which puts Him second, is
a rebellion against our King.

Everything this congregation does should revolve around King Jesus.  For the
life of this congregation comes from the life of Christ Jesus.  He gives us
this life every time we gather to receive Him.  In the Divine Service, Christ
the King gives us His gifts of faith and forgiveness.

What follows that?  We carry the faith and forgiveness He gives us into our
daily lives, into our vocations, what we do as parents and grandparents, as
husbands or wives, and as neighbors.  Throughout the week, you live out the
reality of who you are, whom Jesus declares you to be, a forgiven and
faith-filled person.

The next week, you return to the Divine Service to receive Jesus and what He
gives, once again.  For who can receive too much of what Jesus wants to give
you?  No one, only your sin will cause you to think in such ways.

Christ the King serves you.  After He serves you, you go into the world and
serve others.  Jesus is the source of our salvation.  He is also the foundation
for our congregation, for He is at the center of why we exist and what we do.

Every day, you and I go about our daily lives.  We wear different hats, do
different tasks, and service in various stations of life.  Whether farmer or
firefighter, teacher or truck driver, parent or pastor, neighbor or nurse, we
serve others.  No one’s work is less or more important than another’s, only
different.

How you serve others is an expression of God working through you.  Eternity
infuses itself in what you do for others.  How so?  What you do flows from what
the eternal God does for you, who serves you with His gifts of grace.  And it
gets better.  For Jesus will also recognize these works of faith on the Last
Day: “As you did for the least of these, my brothers, you did it for me”
(Matthew 25:40).

Without farmers, who would drink milk or eat bread?  Without shoemakers, our
feet would remain unshod.  Without mechanics, our cars would soon sputter and
quit, rusting by the side of the road.  Without doctors, our cancers would
unleash their fury, unchecked by chemotherapy.  Every vocation, which serves
our neighbor, is a God-pleasing and God-ordained work.  One isn’t better than
the other, only different.

What you do as a Christian is not another burden placed on you.  Your service
to others isn’t something else to fail at, to bog you down, or bring you to
despair in yourself.  No, for when you serve others, it becomes a realm in
which you can experience God’s love and grace.  How?  In the blessings that you
receive from others.  In the ways that God is working through you, even despite
your failures.

When you give to others as a Christian, you become the face of Christ to them.
So, husbands and wives love each other.  Mothers nurture children.  Fathers
wipe runny noses.  Neighbors cook meals for someone who is sick.  Christians
pray for one another.  Through these tasks, God is at work.  Through you, God
is serving others.

You don’t need to be on a church committee to be doing God’s work.  Oh, do
involve yourself in the work of the congregation, for that is a God-pleasing
vocation, as well.  Here’s the difference—doing something for the church
doesn’t make it godlier than something else.  Every work you do in faith—in
faith—becomes God-pleasing.

Conclusion
So, serve with Christian joy at work, at church, or in the home.  Remember, God
is working through you as you love and serve others because of Jesus!  In the
end, it is all about Christ—His divine service to you, within you, and through
you.  He is your salvation.  He is your King and the head of our
congregation—and He works through us in our various vocations.  Amen.