“Advent’s Shout Is ‘Hosanna!’, Not ‘Alleluia!’”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Dear fellow Advent hosanna-shouters, grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. [Amen.]

“‘Hosanna in the highest!”

That ancient song we sing;

For Christ is our Redeemer,

The Lord of heav’n our King.

Oh, may we ever praise Him

With heart and life and voice

And in His blissful presence

Eternally rejoice!”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 443:3)

Gospel Reading........................................................................................ St. Matthew 21:9

And the crowds that went before him and that followed him were shouting, “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!”

Prologue: By now you’ve probably realized that during the penitential pre-Christmas and pre-Easter seasons of Advent and Lent we eliminate the Alleluias as much as possible. But have you ever wondered why we do that and why “Hosanna” is an appropriate substitute during Advent? In order to answer that we have to first of all explain the meanings of “Alleluia” and “Hosanna.”

“Alleluia” comes from the New Testament Greek language whereas its counterpart “Hallelujah” comes from the Old Testament Hebrew language. The word in both languages means “Praise the Lord!” It’s an especially appropriate response of glory and honor to almighty God for His atoning victory over sin, Satan, and death itself by Christ’s substitutionary suffering, death, and triumphant resurrection from the dead.

“Hosanna,” on the other hand, is the one-word prayer: “Save us, O God!” That one-word prayer begs for and even anticipates the special God-ordained atoning work of Jesus Christ. But in order for Him to accomplish His special work for the temporal and eternal benefit of sinful mankind, Jesus had to be clothed with our human flesh and blood. The Holy Spirit brought about that necessary ingredient by His immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary. All of that preceded what Immanuel came to do in order to rescue, redeem, and reconcile sinners. For that reason, …

“Advent’s Shout Is ‘Hosanna!’, Not ‘Alleluia!’”

Okay, having provided that hopefully understandable explanation as to why we use “Hosanna” and not “Alleluia” during Advent, let’s now move on to two very significant Advent emphases that proceed forth from the one-word “Hosanna” prayer. As we do so, we recall once again that …

I. An Advent Emphasis Is That Humble King Jesus Came, Comes, and Will Come Again. (4-5)

1When they drew near to Jerusalem and came to Bethphage, to the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, 2saying to them, “Go into the village in front of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them to me. 3 If anyone says anything to you, you shall say, ‘The Lord needs them,’ and he will send them at once.” 4This took place to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet, saying, 5“Say to the daughter of Zion, ‘Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.’”

Perhaps you’re also wondering why in the world the Holy Week account of Jesus entering Jerusalem on a donkey only days before His crucifixion death is appointed for the First Sunday in Advent, the time before His birth. Well, the answer is in the meaning of the word “Advent.” It’s a Latin word that means “come to,” “arrive at,” “approach.” You see, Advent is largely a time of imposed waiting for and anticipating Christmas. Of course, we Americans aren’t too fond of having to wait for things. Our society has become so instantaneous that we expect to get whatever we want whenever we want it … and that’s usually right now! Many of the HGTV segments illustrate that truth. Young newly-married couples seek to get their dream house right away … no waiting for it … no working up to it … no anticipating it.

Advent affords us the opportunity to learn or relearn the fine art of waiting for … and anticipating … and appreciating Christmas more fully when it FINALLY does arrive. Advent is a miniature of what we experience waiting for Jesus to return to take us to Himself in eternal glory … and what the Israelites experienced in their 4,000+ years of waiting for the promised Messiah to arrive.

After all, Advent is about prayerfully preparing for and contemplating our Savior’s arrival which was and is a threefold arrival. The Reverend Doctor Douglas Judisch (former professor at my alma mater Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Indiana) explained it this way: “The theme … of the Season of Advent as a whole is the threefold coming of Christ. For, in the thinking of the Orthodox Lutheran Church, the “advent” of Christ as a general term comprehends three specific advents which must be carefully distinguished: (1.) His past coming to justify mankind includes the more than thirty-three years which intervened between His conception and His ascension into heaven and is also [called] His coming in the flesh or His coming in humility (aside from the final forty days between His resurrection and His ascension) or the First Coming of our Lord (in terms of His incarnate visible appearance to the world). (2.) His present coming through His word and sacraments embraces the whole long stretch of time (now two millennia) between His ascension into heaven and His visible return in glory and may also be called His contemporary or continuous or invisible coming. [And] (3.) His future coming refers to His sudden visible return to the world on the Last Day of history to judge all men and is also [called] the Second Coming of our Lord (in terms of His incarnate visible appearance to the world) or His coming in glory or His eschatological coming or His parousia (meaning “appearance” in Greek).

“The concept of Advent as a reflection on a coming of Christ which is specifically threefold is a presupposition only in the Orthodox Lutheran Church. Some traditional Roman Catholic theologians have … also spoken of three advents, but others have described [only] two, … the incarnation and [His second coming]. Modern theologians of all denominations have even more wrongly endeavored to restrict the reference of Advent as much as possible to the yet future coming of Christ in glory.

“The traditional propers of Advent overlap, to be sure, so as to create an exquisite montage of all three comings of Christ within the liturgical framework of any given week of the season. Each of its Sundays, nevertheless, accents one or other of the three comings in a discernable and logical manner. On [this] the First Sunday of Advent, the emphasis lies on the present coming of Christ, whereas on the Second Sunday the stress proceeds to His future advent. On the Third and Fourth Sundays of Advent, the emphases hark back in somewhat differing ways to the past coming of our Lord in the flesh.” (This is taken from Dr. Judisch's magnificent work, Church Year Notes: Semester Domini. This is part one on Advent.) That is, Christ, who came through the Virgin Mary in Bethlehem’s manger, comes to us daily in the mangers of the Holy Bible, that contains God’s Holy Word all about Jesus, the Baptismal font in or over which a person is baptized into the death and resurrection of Jesus, the sinful pastor’s voice that declares God’s sin-cleansing gift of absolution gained by Jesus, and the Holy Communion chalice and paten that contain the body and blood of Jesus hidden in the bread and wine.

Today’s Introit spoke forcefully to this trait of waiting, the beginning of which captures today’s Latin title “Ad Te Levavi”: “To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame. Let not my enemies exult over me. Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame. ... for you I wait all the day long. May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you.” (Ps 25:1-3a, 5b, 21 ESV) This time of waiting, however, is not without meaningful spiritual focus and activity. So it is that …

 II.   Another Advent Emphasis Is Repentant Obedience. (6)

6The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them. 7They brought the donkey and the colt and put on them their cloaks, and he sat on them. 8Most of the crowd spread their cloaks on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road.

The cry of repentance issued forth from the mouths of the Old Testament prophet Ezekiel: “Repent and turn away from your idols, and turn away your faces from all your abominations.” (Ezek 14:6 ESV); and Jesus’ cousin, John the Lutheran, uh, Baptizer: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (St Matt 3:2 ESV); and Jesus Himself: “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” (St Mark 1:15 ESV); as well as the pen of the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther in the first of his 95 theses: “When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, ‘Repent’ (Matthew 4:17), he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance.” In the words of our Synod Catechism simply stated: “Repentant believers are those who are sorry for their sins (contrition) and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as their Savior (faith).” (Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation—ESV. Copyright © 1986, 1991 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 226.)

Turning again to the words of Dr. Judisch: “An authentic Advent is a penitential season. In this period preceding the second greatest festival of the year, the Feast of the Nativity of our Lord, His church invites her children to a life of repentance which is even more pronounced than usual and which they express in acts of special self-denial.

“A true Advent … remains a penitential season. In this respect Advent bears more similarities to Lent than does any other season of the ecclesiastical year. The Eastern Churches, indeed, often call Advent ‘Little Lent’ (or ‘Lesser Lent’).

“Despite, however, the features common to Advent and Lent, the penitential character of Advent is, admittedly, less severe than the season of Lent. There is, of course, no less emphasis on repentance as necessary to the Christian life in general and to the forthcoming festivities of Christmas in particular. The restrictions, however, of Advent are less austere than those of Lent.

“Advent, nevertheless, still summons individual believers to more self-denial than usual in terms of time and treasure, food and drink, and other such matters of daily life. The faithful should, clearly, be devoting more attention to the Word of God and more time to penitential prayer, both in the house of God and at home, than would be the ordinary case.” (This is also taken from Dr. Judisch's magnificent work, Church Year Notes: Semester Domini. This is part one on Advent.)

Today’s Epistle Reading especially emphasized and illustrated the obedient sanctified evidence of repentance: “Besides this you know the time, that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.” (Rom 13:11-14 ESV) And today’s Gradual reminded us: “None who wait for you shall be put to shame … . Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.” (Ps 25:3a, 4 ESV)

So, in light of all that, perhaps we now better understand and appreciate why …

“Advent’s Shout Is ‘Hosanna!’, Not ‘Alleluia!’”

But there’s another shout that is spiritually significant. It’s the shout of today’s Collect: “Stir up Your power, O Lord, and come, that by Your protection we may be rescued from the threatening perils of our sins and saved by Your mighty deliverance.” In the echo of that shout let’s remember and never forget that …

I. An Advent Emphasis Is That Humble King Jesus Came, Comes, and Will Come Again. (4-5) At the same time, let’s also remember and never forget that …

II. Another Advent Emphasis Is Repentant Obedience. (6) Let’s do so in the context of not only the excited anticipation of another Christmas celebration of our Savior’s incarnate birth, but also the excited anticipation of His end-time return both of which the Old Testament prophet Jeremiah spoke in today’s Old Testament Reading: “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: ‘The Lord is our righteousness.’” (Jer 23:5-6 ESV)

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]