“God’s Gracious Gospel Promise Assures Us of His Heavenly Rest”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Dear fellow weary and in-need-of-rest saints, grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord [Amen.]

“O day of rest and gladness, O day of joy and light,

O balm of care and sadness, Most beautiful, most bright;

This day the high and lowly, Through ages joined to bless,

Sing, ‘Holy, holy, holy,’ The triune God confess.

“That light our hope sustaining, We walk the pilgrim way,

At length our rest attaining, Our endless Sabbath day.

We sing to Thee our praises, O Father, Spirit, Son;

The Church her voice upraises To The, blest Three in One.”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 906:1 & 4)

Epistle Reading..................................................... Hebrews 4:1-13 [14-16] (esp. 1, 11-13)

1Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 11Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. 12For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Prologue: “Rest implies cessation from work, a laying down of that which tires. So also with the heavenly rest that Christ brings and to which he leads. ‘Anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work,’ … .” (Richard E. Lauersdorf in People’s Bible Commentary: Hebrews. Copyright © 1992 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 58.)

When I Googled “sleep” on the internet, up popped these three items among a host of others:

#1. “… most healthy adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best. Children and teens need even more. And … most older people still need at least 7 hours of sleep.” However,

#2. “Technically, five hours of sleep is enough to function. ... The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends the average adult clock in seven to eight hours of sleep per night, but for some people, less is apparently more.” At the same time, #3. “Too much sleep on a regular basis can increase the risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke and death … . Too much is defined as greater than nine hours.”

Then when I next Googled “sleep deprivation” up popped the following three items among many others:

#1. “Sleep deprivation is the condition of not having enough sleep. It can be either chronic or acute.” In addition,

#2. “… the average adult sleeps less than seven hours per night. … six or seven hours of sleep may sound pretty good. In reality, though, it's a recipe for chronic sleep deprivation.” And finally,

#3. “An occasional night without sleep … won't harm your health. ... If it continues, lack of sleep can affect your overall health and make you prone to serious medical conditions, such as obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.”

Well, that should certainly serve as a (are you ready for this?) … wake-up call especially for us who regularly neglect the amount of sleepful rest that we need for good health and vitality. It does so by emphasizing the need for adequate sleepful rest that aids our bodies in having those qualities.

Speaking about rest, our Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod’s newest Catechism contains the following important items in the context of The Third Commandment:

1st “God invites us to rest, reflect on His Word, and receive His forgiveness in order to strengthen our faith in Him.”

2nd “In the Old Testament, God set aside the seventh day (Saturday) as a day of rest for His people to worship and to ponder A. the power and goodness of God in His work of creation; [and] B. the graciousness of God’s work of redemption.”

3rd Some features of the Sabbath in the Old Testament include “A. The Sabbath provided time for physical rest.” And, “B. The Sabbath provided time for spiritual rest through worship, fellowship, and devotion to God’s Word and promises.” Finally,

4th “Rest was part of the rhythm that God put in place for His Old Testament Church. On every seventh day (Saturday), people and animals rested from their work. Every seventh year, the land was to rest from planting and harvest. Every fiftieth year (the years after seven times seven years), all debts were canceled.” (Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 74f.)

Well, as you probably already realize, today’s sermon text (the Epistle Reading) is peppered with references to “rest.” That’s an alert to whomever hears and/or reads it that “rest” is an important topic. Our task is to faithfully, prayerfully, and contextually study this text to determine why or what is that “rest” and why is it so important. As we do so, let’s keep in mind that …

“God’s Gracious Gospel Promise Assures Us of His Heavenly Rest.”

And with that overall emphasis in mind, we first of all turn our attention to the fact that …

I. It’s Still All About Jesus, In and Through Whom We Have Eternal Rest! (2-5)

2For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest,’” although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.” 5And again in this passage he said, “They shall not enter my rest.”

For these Sundays after Pentecost in October and November, except the ones when there’s a festival celebration like Reformation next Sunday, All Saints’ Day the following Sunday, and the Last Sunday in the Church Year on November 25, the Epistle Readings are from the book of Hebrews. It’s unique in that its author is unknown. But its purpose is very clear: “To exhort the brothers [fellow Christians] … that Christ is their High Priest and all-sufficient sacrifice for sin.” (The Lutheran Study Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 2102.)

Martin Luther studiously determined: “… it is certain that Christ himself is the sacrifice—indeed even the altar [Heb. 13:10]—who sacrificed himself with his own blood.” That is, “our high priest, Christ, by his own sacrifice and blood, has taken away … that which in its very nature is sin. He has gone in once for all … to God to make atonement for us [Heb. 9:12]. Thus you should apply to Christ personally, and to no one else, all that is written about the high priest.” (Ibid.)

Hey! That simply means that it’s all about Jesus, who is at the same time fully divine and fully human; who “came … to give His life as a ransom for many” (St Mark 10:45 ESV); who “redeemed us from the curse of the” (Gal 4:4-5 ESV); who “Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree” (1 Pet 2:24 ESV); who “died for all” (2 Cor 5:15 ESV); through whom “we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand,” (Rom 5:2 ESV); and who “is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world” (1 John 2:2 ESV). That gracious and precious rest that was foretold to the Old Testament Israelites and came to pass in the New Testament Savior is the threefold gifts of forgiveness of our sins, healing of our sin-ravaged souls, and the certain assurance of eternal life with Jesus in heaven.

It’s the rest that “God’s people missed … in the Promised Land through their unbelief.” And now “God calls us to trust Him and to enter into the rest that He has enjoyed since the completion of creation. In Christ Jesus, we have rest from the accusation of the Law. The Holy Spirit leads us to trust in Christ, granting us everlasting peace.” (The Lutheran Study Bible. Page 2109.) In other words, …

 II.   God’s Wonderful Eternal Rest Awaits All Who Believe In Jesus. (6-10)

6Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, 7again he appoints a certain day, “Today,” saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” 8For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. 9So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, 10for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.

Here I remind us of two prominent proof texts at least one of which should be readily recognized: “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life” (St John 3:16 ESV) and “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God …” (Eph 2:8 ESV).

Note well the important role of belief or faith, both of which are the same thing, namely, confidence in and reliance on Jesus alone for spiritual rest. Jesus did the work necessary for our spiritual rest and the Holy Spirit gives it to us through the funnel of faith … which He also gives us in our Baptism through God’s Holy Word, that’s “living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart” (Heb 4:12 ESV). And that brings us back to where we began, namely, the topic of “rest” and its related issue, sleep. In fact, we read in today’s Old Testament Reading: “Sweet is the sleep of a laborer, whether he eats little or much, but the full stomach of the rich will not let him sleep.” (Eccl 5:12 ESV)

So, is God’s attribute of “just” a frightful, terrifying thing? Are we afraid of His perfect fairness and impartiality? If so, well, let’s strike it up to His law doing its intended job of convicting us of being sinners who deserve to be condemned to the tormentuous fires of hell. However, God gives us evidence of His attributes of mercy and grace when in today’s Gradual we received the promise: “He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways” (Ps 91:11 ESV) and in today’s Introit the comfort: “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles” (Ps 34:18, 17 ESV). That is, …

“God’s Gracious Gospel Promise Assures Us of His Heavenly Rest.”

And God makes His nearness and assurance real in the reading and hearing of His Holy Word, the Blessed Sacraments of Holy Baptism and Holy Communion, and the declaration of Holy Absolution. In those blessed means of grace God reminds us that …

I. It’s Still All About Jesus, In and Through Whom We Have Eternal Rest! (2-5) and reassures us that …

 II.   God’s Wonderful Eternal Rest Awaits All Who Believe In Jesus. (6-10)

Do Satan, the world, and our own sinful flesh still needle us with doubts and misgivings? Then pray that portion of today’s Collect that will say: “Put away from us all things hurtful and give us those things that are beneficial for us.” At the same time, let’s receive strengthening of our faith with what we heard in today’s Gospel Reading: “But Jesus said to them again, ‘Children, how difficult it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.’ And they were exceedingly astonished, and said to him, ‘Then who can be saved?’ Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.’” (St. Mark 10:24b-27 ESV)

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]