Hi Norman,

IMHO the point is: are we sure of that? Will dnsjava return Lookup.TRY_AGAIN even if all *my nameservers* are reachable but they are isolated from the rest of the world?
And do you agree that the above is the right discriminator?

Ciao,

Vincenzo

Norman Maurer wrote:
Hi Vincenzo,

i whould asspect that dnsjava will return Lookup.TRY_AGAIN on such cases. And thats what i check for ;-)

bye
Norman

Hi Jürgen and Norman,

I agree with you *if* I can be sure that at least one of *my*
nameservers (the ones queried by my James server) is able to reach the
net and doesn't resolve the target domain (no target nameservers found),
and anwers NXDOMAIN. But is it possible to figure it out? And does
Norman's fix take in account that?

In other words, if all *my* nameservers are either unreachable, or are
themselves unable to forward the query, it means that there are
connection problems "on my side" and we can not "be pretty sure, that
there is no such Domain/MX Entry", and we should keep retrying. If
instead "an outer world" query is done then your reasoning is correct.

I'm making a difference here between *my* nameservers and the *target
domain* nameservers.

Am I right or I'm missing something here :-)    ?

Anyway, it is unacceptable to have a message bounce back only after one
week because there is a typo in the domain part of an address.

Vincenzo

Norman Maurer wrote:
Hi Jürgen,

that was exactly what i did. But then they all start complaining. Thats
why i changed it to be configurable.

bye
Norman

Hi All,

seriously, I disagree with how you expect DNS to work. A Domain has
configured "n" Nameservers that are responsible for Name resolution. So
would expect James to use all of them in a loop fashion.

If all Nameservers fail with "NXDOMAIN", or we cannot even determine,
that
there is not even one Nameserver for a given Domainname available, we
can
be pretty sure, that there is no such Domain/MX Entry.

So I would really like to handle this differently.

- If it is not possible to determine nameservers, bounce with perm
error
- If there are nameservers available, but not reachable, queue the
Mail.

Does this make sense?

Kind Regards

Juergen