Hi all,

I want to propose some really heavy change in current JAMES trunk, and
so next version. As all of you knows we are supporting IMAP in current
development version, which ships with its own mail store backend
called MailboxManager / Mailbox. For POP3 we use MailRepository as
backend.
I think this is a no go for a number of reasons, but the major one is
that we should be able to switch between IMAP and POP3 without the
need to migrate mails. So I rewrote the POP3Server to re-use the
MailboxManager / Mailbox stuff which is used by IMAP.

So if a user login via POP3 he will just see the folder called INBOX
and nothing else. With IMAP he will see all folders. Thats exactly
what dovecot and courier does ( both heavy used unix imap/pop3
servers).
Another advance is that we elimate one more dependency on storing
mails via javamail, which is not the way to go for the future ...
On the downside we will break backward-compatibility with every James
release we did before. So we will need to write a "migration" tool,
but this should not be to hard.

Because the change is so heavy, I dedicited to attach it to JIRA  for
review and not commit it directly.

You can find it here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-983

So what do you think ?

Bye,
Norman

Ps: The performance it really better then with the "old" backend ;)