Hi,

comments inline again ;)

2010/8/22 Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>:
>  See comments after.
> Eric
>
> On 22/08/2010 10:12, Norman Maurer wrote:
>>>
>>> Which means, not only merge the SubscriptionManager into the
>>> MailboxManager like you did, but also the SubscriptionMapper into the
>>> MailboxMapper. That would make the separation between .user and .mail
>>> superfluous.
>>>
>>> Does that make sense? Maybe your current attempt is still better, I
>>> haven't checked yet.
>>
>> Yes this makes sense too.. The question is do we want to have an extra
>> interface for subscriptions or not ? The problem with the current
>> patch is that its not really optimal how the startProcessing...
>> stopProcessing is used.. Because the SubscriptionManager does not have
>> such methods and so it can lead to leaking resources if the methods in
>> MailboxManager is not called.. Thats a problem cause it would be
>> possible to use the SubscriptionManager alone..
>>
>> If we go backto option 1) we don't have this problems..
>>
>> So I'm still not sure what solution is the best ..
>>
> DefaultProcessorChain is responsible to invoke the MailboxManager and the
> SubscriptionManager.
> So the behaviour of both is controlled by an external compontent, the
> DefaultProcessorChain (they are coordinated/controlled by something).
> But it's true that SubscriptionManager could be used independently of
> MailboxManager, and one depending on the other, this could produce unwanted
> effects (didn't look which one...).

I don't see any side effects here..

> An important point is the following: Subscription are links between
> JamesUser and Mailbox : right ?

Not 100%.. Subscriptions links users to Mailboxes. The users are just
Strings and nothing more. So its not coupled to james server in any
way.

> We are in a "mind" to let the James Admin user configure the way he want to
>  persist its mails, its users,..
> Let's take the example of JCR mailbox store with a JPA user store. Where
> would the subscription be persisted : JCR or JPA ?

If we go with 1) its JCR, if we go with 2) its up to the admin.

> And why the user wouldn't be allowed to persist its subscriptions in (I take
> any example) : another DB, a LDAP, a noSQL store,...
> If we think we should give freedom and tools to 3rd party to persist where
> they want the different James domain aspects, leaving the aspects separated
> in different is not a bad thing.
>
> If we think that a Subscription management is on the same level as Mailbox
> Management (seen from here, it seems), we could also add the start/stop
> processing and addListerner methods on it (it can always be useful to be
> notified of a subscription).

true enough

Just as a side-note... For example the subscription stuff is not
really necessary for using MailboxManager in non-imap enviroments (for
example pop3).

Bye,
Norman