Hi.

Le 07/05/2018 à 06:47, Simon Levesque a écrit :
>> 1. DOCS and TUTORIALS
>
> To help get new documentation fast, a wiki would be better than: creating a
> Jira, changing text files in the repository and doing a pull request.
>
> Also, one big head-ache is that when we download the release, we cannot use
> it right away and then slowly go throught all the changes we can make to
> the config one part at a time. There should be a default config that just
> works like "receive and send emails, no-ssl". Then, we could create some
> sample/bundle configuration for:
> - receive and send emails with ssl (maildir/jpa)
> - receive emails ; send via a gateway (maildir/jpa)
>
> That would give ready to use full config and also some examples of how to
> tweak things.

In my opinion, we should defend about knowledge spreading. We should
tend to have technical information about the software in a single location.

That both makes reading and writing docs/ tutorials easier.

What I do believe is that we need "feature oriented scenario" allowing
to quickly start a James server that does what you want, then having
specific links pointing to what you want/can configure.

Such use cases might be:

 - Starting up a JPA IMAP server
 - Setting up a distributed server
 - Doing inbound
 - Spawning a James server for your tests
 - ... (any other idea welcome) ...

Things like SMTP gateway are in my opinion "low level features" that
might not deserve such a guide, but could be linked at the end of that
guide.

Concerning SMTP mail sending, that is interesting. The doc exist on the
mailet level but is rather pretty hard to find. Maybe we should consider
adding a TLD page.

Finally, maybe the "configure" section of the website [1] is too
messy... We could subdivide the configure section between "backend
configuration" and "other configuration"... We could improve the base
page to better explain what the configuration pages will bring....

[1] http://james.apache.org/server/config.html

>> 2. NOT ENOUGH HANDS? DROP NOT ENOUGH USED COMPONENTS
>
> I am not sure on this one. If you are doing a lot of API changes that
> breaks all the components, yes that can be hard to maintain a lot of
> components, but if you are mostly adding new mailet functionnalities and
> new backends, that shouldn't be taking much time and it is actually giving
> more choices to users. Even more so that there are Docker tests done with
> them, so you can be confident to not have broken anything.

The fact is some implementations conform to the APIs but not with the
generic tests coming with it. Moreover, code might be obscur, outdated
and relying on hacks.

We have a clear definition of what a trusted backend is:
 - It should match generic tests
 - Have a docker for easy use
 - Pass load testing generated by Gatling
 - Have and pass integration tests

Many implementations fails to gain traction and do not comply with such
criteria. And the cost to do so would be high.

Of course, the idea is to reach a consensus here, and not drop an
implementation that people are willing to support. I imagine that a call
to contribution would be made, followed by deprecation then removal.

>> 3. FULLY DISTRIBUTED
>> It sounds like a fully distributed solution (potentially running on
> Kubernetes) could be a better differentiator. There is still work to
> achieve this (especially on the queuing level).
>
> Not sure if having something for Kubernetes out of the box would really be
> a differenciator. There are more people with Linux machines than with
> Kubernetes clusters installed.
> If I just think about using a provided Kubernetes cluster, I don't think
> emails are good there. Eg:
> - On Google Compute Engine, we cannot send emails directly, we need to use
> an email gateway
> - On Amazon, same thing
> - On DigitalOcean, you can receive and send emails, but without using a
> gateway, some of them could get lost (looking at Microsoft that sends
> everything not whitelisted from a user to /dev/null instead of their SPAM
> folder to give them a chance to know they are actually missing emails)
> So using their Kubernetes cluster would still not be that simple to
> configure.

The big deal here would be of course to attract other companies, who can
dedicate developers to Apache James ;-)

More than a choice of technology, what is important is the "distributed
stuff" feature, which is completly missing in the OpenSource landscape..