Hello Jamers,

We regularly have complains that James is not working on windows (latest
reference: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-3707)

None of the active comitters/contributors is actively using windows. No
tests are performed in a windows environment to ensure we don't break
things. I do not recall over the past 6 years any work for windows
support. As such I deduce we do not have the strength to maintain James
running on Windows and that "James on windows" cannot be assumed to work.

Yet, we broadcast portability as a core principle
(https://james.apache.org/server/objectives.html) which is currently a lie.

Note to self: this sections says "Java 2 platform" showing how much out
of date it is. Avalon framework is still mentionned as a relique of
James 2.3...

This puts us with a choice:

 - Adapting our communication, explaining that Windows support is not an
actively pursued goal of the PMC and at best experimental.
    -> This means that user complains in a windows environment could
receive the following treatment:
         - <template>Sorry, we don't support windows, feel free to
contribute this support. Also be aware we provide docker containers to
run James truely anywhere <3 </template>
         - eventually close the ticket once inactive for long enough (~2
weeks?)

 - Pulling the resources to support windows (won't come from me :-) ).

Obviously I do prefer the first: Adapting our communication. I will be
putting a PR together to refresh those objective/motivation page that
are vastly outdated, and email the link here.

Thoughts?

Best regards,