Hello all,

Recent work had been invested by Matthieu and Jean on integrating Apache James and Pulsar. The resulting artifact is pulsar-cassandra-smtp-relay.

The name makes it hard to grasp what goals are researched, we also miss a little statement/README about this new product.

Here is a little explaination of the goal of this application I can propose:

```
This artifact leverage Apache Pulsar to deliver a mailet container that scales your mail processing.
It can be used both for inbound and outbound behavior customization.
Thanks to Apache Pulsar, get your hands on a fully featured distributed mail queue to manage efficiently your email delivery.
It targets minimal dependencies: solely Apache Pulsar and an object store.
```

If we reach a consensus I would be happy to write its README, including sample configuration and start instructions.

I understand from recent tickets (JAMES-3761 JAMES-3762 and JAMES-3763) that it is intendeed to not get Cassandra as a dependency. Some features are optional and can easily be dropped (recipient rewritting) however some others would eventually need an alternative implementation (I am thinking to domains, users). What is the plan regarding this?

Regarding the artifact name I am uneasy with it. Generally we tend to be too technical on the artifact name and base it on backing technologies rather than focussing on the intent. Also, 'relay' is one of the many possible features, but there are others. As such I think the 'smtp-relay' part of the name is too restrictive.

Alternative concepts for names:
 - Replace smtp-relay with smtp only to make it more generic
 - Replace smtp-relay by mail-processing which I think might be the main target of such a server.  - Replace pulsar-cassandra by scaling or distributed prefix that would emphasis the intent rather than the technology  - If we are to stick with technology names maybe just keep 'pulsar' as Cassandra usage looks accidental and contributors

Which would lead to (scalar combination of the above):
 - pulsar-smtp / distributed-smtp
 - pulsar-mail-processing / distributed-mail-processing / scaling-mail-processing

Thoughts?

Best regards,

Benoit TELLIER