Hello Andre.

Thanks for letting me discover about this Apple feature. Out of curiosity, is there a public document specifying this? If so could you share this link?

Are you aware of other free and OpenSource mail servers implementing this?

Second, we added exactly one year ago support for IMAP extension: implementing support for XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE can thus always be done in an extension. Here is an example of how to do so: https://github.com/apache/james-project/tree/master/examples/custom-imap

I speak for myself - this is not something I would contribute by myself for pleasure

> First question would be whether you'd be interested in including this in James core, or if this should remain a separate extension?

If there is a publicly available specification and other FOSS mail server implementation for this, I personnally could welcome such a  effort as a third party module that could be embedded into the IMAP stack.
Definitvely not in James core.

> If interested in upstreaming, would you be able to outline a high-level overview of what the code should look like, especially where to put the APNS client?

https://github.com/apache/james-project/tree/master/third-party/apsn-imap ?

We coukld define core concepts there, apsn driver, storage api, imap module. Then separate maven modules for token storage?

Like https://github.com/apache/james-project/tree/master/third-party/apsn-memory
https://github.com/apache/james-project/tree/master/third-party/apsn-cassandra

Somebody willing to enable the extension in James would...
...1 Drop the apsn-imap-xxxx jar on the classpath
...2 Register the guice module into extensions.properties to select his device store.
...3 Register the APSN IMAP extension.

> I want to know whether James has a way for extensions to attach arbitrary data to a mailbox

James extension can store data. Talk speaking about this [1] and (old) code example [2]
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr8qpNkL6U4&ab_channel=TheASF
[2] https://github.com/chibenwa/james-blacklist

> Also, where to put the long-lived APNS client?

Dedicated storage for the extension

> Does James have an existing extension pattern that accounts for long-lived services like this?

Yes as Tung mentionned with JMAP we did implement WebPush and a Linagora specific firebase extension.
We also do have websockets and eventsource up and running with JMAP.

> https://github.com/Rjevski/apache-james-xapsd-registration-extension

So cool!

Congrats!

Definitly happy to welcome this in James (as third-party), and happy to see you did succeed to set up an IMAP extension by yourself!

Last question: all code landing in ASF james needs t be ASFV2 and we can not rely on a proprietary custom external APSN bridge (external bridge is OK to me though, if FOSS and easy to run...).

Best regards,

Benoit