On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:49:22PM +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> good question. In the field, the XS machines never get switched off -
> they are headless, and set in the bios to auto-switch-on. Most of them
> will be in locations with unreliable power - so they will switch off
> when power gets cut.

I have run servers like this for a few years with ext3. I was surprised
how well it worked. I never got anything resembling file system
corruption. ext3 worked like a charm. What tended to fail was the RAID1
set up. For some reason, the volumes got unsync'd and had to be
reassembled manually. But after issuing 'mdadm -a /dev/md0 /dev/foo' by
hand, then it worked fine. The only other problem was actual hard drive
failure. But there is nothing we can do about that anyway.

--
American? Vote on the National Initiative for Democracy, http://votep2.us