Kevin,

When installing in text mode which option do you choose:

-Upgrade/Install using text mode
-Install using Kickstart. Then you do you press tab and add text to the end of
the line to request the text based installer?

As noted here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software#Installing_the_Software

Reuben