From: Martin Langhoff [mailto:martin.langh...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, 31 July 2010 5:52 a.m.
To: David Leeming
Cc: XS Devel
Subject: Re: Turn Editing On missing and joining multiple courses

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:52 PM, David Leeming
<da...@leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> In our PNG deployment and elsewhere I am finding with Moodle that when the
> initial administrator XO creates additional course creators, the “Turn
> Editing On” button does not appear on the new Course Creator XOs

Does not appear... on which course? Make them a teacher of each course
where you want them to see that.

Note! Don't make all teachers 'course creators'. Just create a course
for them, and make them a teacher _in that course_.

> Secondly, we have set up courses for each of six classes and are joining
the
> 250 students and their teachers to them as “teachers” and “students”

Cool. that's the way :-)

>. The
> teachers have been made “Front Page teachers” but not been given any
system
> roles (otherwise they appear in all the courses).

Good too!

> We want to allow teachers
> to collaborate between each other as well, so I am thinking of creating a
> “Teachers” course.

Yes - perfect! You're getting the 'moodle way'. Create a "Teachers'
Exchange" course, and in there make them all "teachers".

> I have not enough experience with Moodle to know what to
> expect – will there be any “cross over” issues (the best way I can
describe
> it) if teachers A and B are members of the Grade 3A and 4B courses
> respectively, and then also both as members of “Teachers”.

Each course its is own world -- you are doing it right.

Moodle never asks "is this person a teacher?" or "is this person a
student?". Moodle doesn't care. You are a teacher _in the context of a
course_. You might be a student in another course ("how to use
moodle")!

A child might be "student" in a course, but an openminded teacher /
"course creator"  can setup a course where kids are setup with a
"teacher" role and can do more things!

Hope all is good in PNG!

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 mar...@laptop.org -- School Server Architect