With the release of 10.1.3, I thought I'd revisit flashing an XO over the
LAN.  Here are my notes, if anyone's interested.

First off, if your AP is really old and only does B, you might run into
trouble.  The layout in my house is the XS in the front room with eth1
connected to a router.  The router goes to an AP sitting next to the XS and
a wall jack to the sleeping porch (it's a 1913 bungalow) with another AP
back there.  I call it my "winter lab" because there's a heater.  The front
room with the XS has been getting down to 40F, which is a bit chilly.

My two APs are different Linksys models.  The older one, which I picked up
from a thrift store for $5, only does B and usually works for most things.
The newer one does B/G.  I did have the older one in my "winter lab" but
swapped it out for the newer one, as you'll see.

I started off by using wget to download these two files in /var/www/html on
the XS:

http://build.laptop.org/10.1.3/xo-1/os860/os860.img
http://build.laptop.org/10.1.3/xo-1/os860/os860.img.fs.zip

I copied os860.img.fs.zip to fs.zip.  Then I set both my APs to the SSID of
OLPCOFW.  Since it was getting kind of cold, I went to my "winter lab" with
the B only AP (and the heater).  Plugged in an XO-1, held down all four game
keys, and powered on.  It saw the AP, associated to OLPCOFW, got an IP from
the XS, erased the nand, and then tried to flash it.  When I say try, it got
about 5 green blocks in before completely stalling.

Figuring the old AP was the problem, I swapped it out for the newer B/G AP
from the front room.  That AP worked.  Flashing the XO-1 over the LAN took
about half an hour, but it completed, rebooted itself, and was good to go.
For mass updates, this would probably be highly inefficient and you're
better off with USB drives or an XO set up to NAND Blast.  But it's a nice
option to have for the occasional reflashing.

I had other trouble with the B only AP, like when I put this in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 on an XO:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
TYPE=Wireless
MODE=Managed
ESSID=OLPCOFW

Trying to associate with the B only AP in single user mode with ifup eth0
fails.  It works with the B/G AP, though.

So now that I've verified flashing the XO-1 over the LAN works with the B/G
AP, I'm curious to see if the XO 1.5 can do that as well.  Short answer -
no, I couldn't get it to work.

I used wget to download these two files into /var/www/html on the XS.

http://build.laptop.org/10.1.3/xo-1.5/os860/os860-4g.zd
http://build.laptop.org/10.1.3/xo-1.5/os860/os860-4g.zsp.fs.zip

I deleted the XO-1 fs.zip file and copied os860-4g.zsp.fs.zip to fs.zip.
Following the same procedure as the XO-1 LAN flashing, the XO 1.5 said it
was looking for ssid:OLPC-NANDblaster.  I renamed the AP to OLPC-NANDblaster
and this is all I got:

Trying disk:\fs.zip
Trying ext:\fs.zip
Trying NANDblaster
Boot device: /dropin-fs:nb15_rx Arguments:  ssid:OLPC-NANDblaster
Scan for: OLPC-NANDblaster found
Associate with: OLPC-NANDblaster
Waiting for server

And then it just sits there.  Oh, well, it would have probably taken a
couple of hours to flash over the LAN anyway.

Tip:  I like to include the IP addresses of my APs and the router in
/etc/motd.  Then I need only login to the XS to see where I put them so I
know where to go for their web interfaces.

cat /etc/motd

The Router is on 172.18.126.2
The B/G AP is on 172.18.126.3
The Salvation Army AP is on 172.18.126.4

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham