On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langh...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Sameer Verma <sve...@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> > You are hilariously evil >8-)~
>
> I think I'll scare new XS admins with "if you have problems with
> managing your XS... we'll ask Anna to come help you... mbwahahahaha".

 New XS admins, particularly if they're new to Linux culture, should be made
aware that you don't just give the root password to anyone who asks for it.
I've personally been bullied by a project manager who had no business with
those credentials and was not very happy when I told her that "It's on a
need to know basis" and when further pressed, "...and you don't need to
know, so quit asking."  I'm not a control freak, but emailing root passwords
in clear text to nitwits, and only a nitwit would even ask for such a thing,
is just not done.

My test XS at home has no undeserved logins, but I still want to easily
monitor what's going on.

I've got a local Statusnet installation with XMPP integration, so I put this
in /etc/bashrc

curl -u security:password
http://schoolserver.example.org/statusnet/api/statuses/update.xml -d
status="`whoami` logged into `hostname` on `date`"  >/dev/null 2>&1

It automaticallly posts to Statusnet when someone logs in.  Since my
personal Statusnet user follows the "security" user, the Statusnet XMPP bot
sends me a notification via my Jabber client.  My other users don't like
seeing all the login notice clutter, so I put the "security" user in the
Sandbox so those notices don't show up in the Public Timeline.

Statusnet is really a lot of fun and my users quite enjoy it, even posting
from Blackberries when they're out and about.  Not sure how it would scale
at a school, though.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham