On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM, George Hunt <georgejh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I took the picture in the following url, I was focusing on what it
> would take to run off of 12V deep cycle battery:
>
> http://schoolserver.wordpress.com/xs-installation/xs-0-7-running-on-xo-1-5/

That's very cool!

> I'm concerned with packaging,  and physical robustness in a real school
> setting.  Maybe we could get someone with ME skills to dream up a cheap
> package for all the accessory items.

I can't speak much about ME, but I can suggest looking at some TP-LINK
and "Sapido" branded small APs that take USB power. You can have a
USB-powered HDD as well, and you still have a free USB port on the XO.

> At the fall 2011 summit, there was a general call for a turnkey XS that
> "just worked".  If we could solve the form factor problem, the XO1.75 might
> be a good solution.

I'm exploring that path with a variant of the Dreamplug, but that
won't happen overnight.

> I think it was Sameer who was telling me that in Australia, they are
> thinking about one XS per classroom. In that setting, seems to me that
> XO1.75 (even with only 512MB memory) would be more than adequate.

One XS per classroom is a _bad_ idea for other reasons. One AP per
classroom is a good idea, OTOH, and an XO-1.75 can probably handle a
mid-sized school OK.

cheers,

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 mar...@laptop.org -- Software Architect - OLPC