Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help;  I am sharing my experiences

Looking back through the mailing list, I saw references to potentially saving downloads (expensive in some places) by copying the cached yum packages from an already-installed XO to the next XO on which XSCE would be installed. Having just installed XSCE 0.3 on an XO-1.5, I went looking in /var to see what was cached there. And in directory /var/cache/yum/i386/18/xs-extra/packages/ I found a bunch of rpms (including ejabberd-2.1.11-5.1.fc17.XSCE.i686.rpm) which had 'fc17' as part of their names. Since I started with 13.1.0 (build 36) which is 'fc18', I was surprised at what had been saved in the yum cache.

The appropriate line in /etc/yum.repos.d/xsce-release.repo is:

  baseurl=http://xsce.activitycentral.com/repos/xs-extra/

mikus