On 2016-10-15 13:02, Sameer Verma wrote:
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Anish Mangal <anis...@umich.edu> wrote:
Following from:

If SIP is using a server signaling messages always pass through the server but audio messages (RTP flow) can travel end to end without passing through the server. In IAX, signaling and data must pass always through IAX server. This increases the bandwidth need by the IAX servers when there are many
simultaneous calls.

This is a big drawback of IAX it seems, especially in a mesh setup, where in many cases, the available bandwidth between clients may be higher via direct node routes compared with the bandwidth via the server route. It seems SIP
will utilize the network more efficiently in a mesh topology.

Yesterday we were testing this on the server, and two nodes with three
client. The data was being sent directly client -- node -- node -- client,
and virtually no bandwidth was being used on the server. :)

Not always the case. One of my students worked on her thesis where she
set up a bunch of XO-1 laptops over a 802.11s (draft) mesh and tested
simultaneous calls to look for saturation, etc.

I'll see if I can find the actual thesis.

Tilila El Moujahid presented her set up at one of the annual olpc-SF summits held a few years ago.
The next summit is coming up soon.
Server-devel mailing list