Hi,

I think id does make sense to have such a functionality. No reason to
keep archived emails in the main storage if hey are rarely accessed. Not
sure on what solution to adopt as there are many possible ways to
achieve this.

One thing that I am thinking of is to provide a Composite Mailbox
implementation.

A rough sketch is bellow:

This composite mailbox implementation could delegate actual processing
to a couple of implementations. Each implementation could manage a group
of folders.

This solution could solve this use case by:

- keep normal folders inside a database using jpa implementation

- keep archived emails in a Maildir or S3 storage etc, possibly on
slower, less expensive systems.

I haven't given a lot of thought to this so I'm not sure if it is even
possible at the moment, but I think the pattern has some merit.

Regards,

Eugen