Morning Benoit ;-)  This could get into being a philosophical discussion
for certain! I have mixed feelings about customization of error
messages, and you are correct in saying I could change this particular
one. I have always approached software design with the attitude that
error handling and error messages should be carefully crafted so as to
guide users to a solution, not just tell them that something went wrong.
Which is what this particular error message is doing when left in it's
current default state. We could change/customize it for our own users,
(actually I will just remove this mailet) but doing so leads to a
different issue. If everyone who installs James servers (or any other
application for that matter) is allowed to customize error messages then
it leads to a non-standard environment. Often, when users encounter an
error message, that doesn't provide an understandable solution, they
will then Google it looking for a solution, hoping to find a guru or a
collective mind to provide one. Even in cases such as this, where the
solution will require the assistance of the James administrators to
solve this problem, the user needs to be told that he/she must contact
them AND what exactly they need to tell the administrators. I would
craft this message to say, "Your email server is rejecting your request
to send your email messages. Please contact your Internet Service
Provider and/or IT administrator and tell them that your email server is
rejecting your request to relay email because it is not configured to
accept email from your IP address. They need to check the configuration
of the anti-relay matcher/mailet or remove this matcher/mailet from the
server."  In this way, both the user and the administrators have been
guided to a solution making it easier to resolve this problem. I am not
sure that I would design this matcher/mailet to allow easy customization
of the error message however, I think that should be only done
internally within the code itself. But you could convince me otherwise
if you can provide me with some compelling reasons to allow customization.

     Marc....