Garry,

I'm all for taking the shortest route to the latest code.  Here is my full saga from a previous post:

1) On a clean eclipse workspace, File-->Import-->Git --- I selected "clone URI" and entered the James GIT clone URI: https://github.com/apache/james-project.git

2) I selected the 3.3.x branch (I guess that's what I want... (??) ) and said to also clone submodules.  It downloaded to a folder. It created an eclipse project/package named james-server. But the project only had 3 files: model.di, model.notation, and model.uml.

3) On a whim, I decided to import again using "Maven existing project" and pointed to the extracted folder.  That seemed to work for the most part.

It initially gave me 10 errors saying "Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration" and 16 more errors with "Project configuration not up to date with pom.xml".  All with varying pom.xml files.  I did a "quick fix" and it got rid of the 'not up to date' errors.  I googled the lifecycle error and it said to edit all of the pom.xml files and add <pluginManagement> tags around the plugin tags.  I tried in on a couple of the pom.xml files, and it did fix the errors (???).

I then did a build, and it added one more error, something about an invalid mojo tag in a pom descriptor.

Just for fun, I did a clean build, and that was a huge mistake. I now have 340 errors where it can't resolve DTOs in FlagsTest, EventSerializer in EventDispatcher, etc.  Apparently 'clean' wipes out source files as well.  Or it wipes out class files that are not part of the full build.

So that's where I am.  I can edit a bunch of pom.xml files and add tags.  I can hopefully figure out how to fix mojo.  And I can hope to remember to NEVER do a clean build again.  But this just doesn't seem right that I have to go in and modify a bunch of source files just to get a clean build from a ship-level source package.  I have zero confidence if I have to make all of these change that I really have an 'official' 3.3.x James.

Suggestions?  Where did I stray from the correct path?  I'm beginning to feel like I belong in the class with the slow kids....