hi Matt

> why we can't exactly re-produce each others result: I just clone it from
> github >and build it myself - do you the same or do you use some
> pre-compiled/-packaged >archive provided from somewhere else?

I just downloaded the binary release from the apache site. As you say,
shouldn't make a difference, but ..........

>As for your failing JVM start up: that looks really odd

It is - as it happened only on the debian VM, not on the fedora laptop. Not
only that, but as already said, on the debian VM, although none of the james
commands ran, I could startup with the run.sh script.

Anyway, thanks for your help; certainly prodded me to get to this point. For
the record I just ran up the 3.3.0 version on the laptop, switched to maildir
storage, added a localhost user, sent a test mail and...... IT JUST WORKS :-)

After a bit more looking at, I may try it for real on a actual mail server, but
I'm a bit concerned about your DKIM comments as I see that as pretty much
essential for getting mail delivered reliably these days.

--
David Matthews
m...@dmatthews.org