Hi Juhan,

I don't have answers to everything but I nonetheless answered a few
questions below.

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 12:45 +0300, Juhan Aasaru wrote:

[...]

> The work that the Linagora employed contributors are working on - is it
> pushed via PR-s to the main branch often or is it developed elsewhere and
> it will be available in the end once it is completed?

I'm not part of it any longer but Linagora always pushed code via PR
and merged to apache master.

[...]

In the meantime I would discourage using the Draft version.

> Unfortunately we cannot delay displaying out the emails to users and
> composing new email so we have to pick something and implement it (even if
> that means we have to rewrite it later).
> Currently this only has to have basic functionality (read and send) as it
> is needed for MVP.
>
> I understand we have 3 options at the moment:
> * pick James 3.5.0 now and rely on jmap-draft. Rewrite UI later to final
> jmap spec.

It's definitely an option. If you are doing a proof-of-concept, you
should adopt this strategy

> * pick current (unpublished) state of James with partial RFC-8621 support
> and start to build on top of that + use
> https://github.com/linagora/jmap-client at the same time for UI
> Build sending emails on top of jmap-draft. Risk of going live on top of an
> unpublished version of James.

Don't confuse unpublished with unreleased: James master is very stable
and ready to use. If you intend to do more than a proof-of-concept in
the coming weeks, you should choose this solution.

> * pick James 3.5.0 + some ready-made open source mail client that works on
> top of IMAP and once RFC-8621 is all ready and merged (and published as a
> new James version) then move the whole UI to using that.

I would not do that: IMAP web client are a mess, you will probably
invest much time in this solution and will just drop it in some weeks.

> I wonder how many members in the community run production on top of an
> unpublished version.
> Is it something that generally shouldn't be done?

I don't really have a personal production setup yet but I would not
fear that: the master branch is usually better than last release
because there's always a bunch of bugs fixed and very few new
introduced thanks to our extensive testsuite.

Cheers,

-- Matthieu Baechler