hi Matt

I'd agree there was a problem back in version 3.3, but changes may have been
made since then?

If I removed comments from this code (below) in smtpserver.xml even test mails
were never delivered. I didn't investigate further, mainly because I find that
you pretty much kill incoming spam dead by configuring DNSBL checking (more
uncommenting in the same file). So SPF checking and spamassassin too are hardly
essential.

<!--  <handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.fastfail.SPFHandler">
                <blockSoftFail>false</blockSoftFail>
                <blockPermError>true</blockPermError>
            </handler>
      -->