Hello Sean,

Email trust is definitely a complicated thing. Getting third party
accepting your emails is a complex task [1]. To send emails to (say)
Gmail, you would need to buy a domain, register you MXs, set up
scertificates, battle with DKIM and SPF, etc...

[1] https://james.apache.org/howTo/spf.html
https://james.apache.org/howTo/dkim.html

Regards,

Benoit