Hi Benoit, and thanks a million for your reply.  Yes, I have used telnet to make a connection on both the imap and smtp ports that my Apache James email server is listening on. I have successfully simulated sending and receiving emails by manually typing in the appropriate commands with lots of joy! Seems to work OK when making telnet connections just fine.

However, what I am seeing when using Thunderbird as an email client, is that when doing something multiple times, the connection and commands work for a little while then things freeze up. For example, when fetching emails from the imap service, I get a few emails and then it hangs up. Ditto for running filters, the filters run for a bit, move a few emails, then hangs up. I don't know what the magic is, for getting back on track reliably, either. Sometimes restarting James and/or Thunderbird does the trick, but more often it keeps on failing for awhile and when I come back later it is running OK again. (again for a little while) So I would like to see what is going on with the imap and smtp communication layer itself to see if I can get any ideas.

I have looked at the Apache James log files also, of course, and no joy discovering anything useful yet. One thing I do note is that only the james-server.log and the wrapper.log files contain any information. There are other files created, such as an imapserver.log file, but it does not contain anything. I wonder if I have a misconfiguration somewhere that is not allowing logging info to be directed to these other files. I can't find any thing wrong with my configuration files either, so for now I have set that problem aside while I try to pursue the more serious problem of some kind of a spotty connection issue. Maybe getting those other log files working would provide me with the information I need to solve this?

I also see in the two log files that do contain information, exception errors with walk-back stack traces, but those seem unrelated to what I am doing at the time. (I get a LOT of bots doing brute force attacks against my server and a lot of these exception errors seem to be related to those attacks.)

I am using the Spring wiring for Apache James, and believe with log4j logging. I will show the relevant property setting from the log4j.properties files for the imap service. Why nothing is showing up in the imapserver.log file is above my pay grade to grok.

log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.File=../log/imapserver.log
log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd
log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p %d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} | %c | %m%n
... more stuff not shown here
log4j.logger.james=DEBUG, CONS, FILE
log4j.logger=DEBUG, CONS, FILE
... more stuff not shown here
log4j.logger.james.imapserver=DEBUG, IMAPSERVER

HTH...  Marc