Hi Benoit and Tung, thank you for the replies.

We are running James under JPA. Essentially we have two separate mail
servers with separate MX records (mail.xxx.com and mail2.xxx.com) currently
with their own database instances, idea being that if email can't be
delivered to one it gets delivered to the other, and since all the mail
retrieval is done locally over POP we just query both servers to check for
new incoming mail.

Best wishes
Matt