Hi again Jaroslav,

On 2013-10-23 17:07, Jaroslav Bachorik wrote:

Hi Jaroslav,

On 2013-10-23 14:55, Jaroslav Bachorik wrote:
Hi Bengt,

On 23.10.2013 14:40, Bengt Rutisson wrote:

Hi Jaroslav,

A couple of questions.

I don't understand why this is a CMS only problem? Why don't the other
collectors have the same issue? I guess it is less likely that the
other
collectors start (or complete) a GC without a lot of allocation going
on. But at least G1 should have the same problem.

I don't really know. If there are other pools that can have the "used" value 0 before a GC happens then yes, they are susceptible to the same
problem.

I think all the "old" pools can have 0 used before a GC happens. But
except for CMS and G1 it is less likely that a GC happens unless you do allocations. As long as they keep the 0 used the test will pass. So, my guess is that to be on the safe side all "old" pools should make sure to
do a full GC first.

Also, from the problem description in the CR I would have guessed that
you want the GC to happen between these two statements:

p.setUsageThreshold(1);
MemoryUsage u = p.getUsage();

This is all but a heuristic here. The problem lies in the fact that it
is not possible to retrieve the pool usage and the "threshold
exceeded" flag consistently in one atomic operation. I might get
usable data from the first call and then I don't need to force GC.

Right. This is why I think you want to avoid a GC after you have fetched
getUsage() but before you do isUsageThresholdExceeded(). With your
suggested patch you are explicitly inserting a GC at that point. To me
this sounds like the opposite of what you want to do.

I've updated the patch. The GC is called even before the first attempt
to get the pool memory usage and System.gc() is used to perform GC (no
MXBean checks). This should simplify the change a bit.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jbachorik/8020467/webrev.02

Thanks for doing this update so quickly!

Have you been able to verify that this change still fixes the issue? I
think it should, but it would be good if we could verify it.

Yep, it still fixes the problem. Unfortunatelly, the only way to reproduce the problem locally is to run the test under debugger and invoke GC explicitly between getting the pool memory usage and threshold flag.

This code worries me a little bit:

  114     private static MemoryUsage getUsage(MemoryPoolMXBean p) {
  115         MemoryUsage u = null;
  116         do  {
  117             System.gc();
  118             u = p.getUsage();
  119         } while (u.getUsed() == 0);
  120         return u;
  121     }

I think one call to System.gc() should be enough. And if it is not, if
we still get 0 as used, I think that another System.gc() call will just
render the same result. Thus, I'm a bit worried that this will be an
endless loop.

Sounds reasonable. My motivation was to try to make sure some objects are promoted to old gen but it seems redundant and in case of non-oldgen pools might not even work :(

Since the test actually handles the case where used is 0, I think it is
enough to just do a single call to System.gc() and then get the usage data.

Hm, this makes the patch even simpler ...
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jbachorik/8020467/webrev.03

Yes, I think this looks simple and good. :-)

Thanks,
Bengt

-JB-

Thanks,
Bengt

-JB-

Now you have added the GC just after these statements. I thought that
was what caused the problem. That you read the usage data at one
point,
then a GC happens and you compare the cached usage
data to the new data that p.isUsageThresholdExceeded() will fetch.

Looking at the promoteToOldGen() method I assume that the intent is
that
the code should be using the return value. So my guess is that this
code:

   94         if (p.getName().equals("CMS Old Gen")) {
   95             promoteToOldGen(p, u);
   96         }

Should be:

   94         if (p.getName().equals("CMS Old Gen")) {
   95             u = promoteToOldGen(p, u);
   96         }

Indeed. It was meant to re-fetch the usage after GC.

OK. Good. With this code I think it should work. Now you make sure to
get the GC before you do getUsage().

With that, I think it might work. But I still don't understand why
this
is only a CMS problem.

One more question about the promoteToOldGen() and forceGC() methods. I don't really know much about how the different beans work, but are we
sure that the MemoryPoolMXBeans and GarbageCollectorMXBeans use the
same
pool names? That is, are you sure that forceGC() actually will do
anything?

They use the pool names as reported by the GC infrastracture so they
should be the same.

Ok.

As for just doing a System.gc() to force a GC I think you can rely on
that System.gc() does a full GC in Hotspot unless someone sets
-XX:+DisableExplicitGC on the command line. Considering that you are
relying on Hotspot specifc names for pools I don't think it is a
limitation to the test to rely on the Hotspot implementatoin of
System.gc().

Good to know. I guess I could simplify the change and just call
System.gc(), after all.

Yes, I think that' simpler.

Thanks,
Bengt