Instead of "assert(false, ...", I recommend "fatal(...".
This will cause a failure in all build configs including 'release' bits.

On 2/22/18 8:16 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:

Please review the following:

Before removing ServiceUtil::visible_oop(), I want to make sure it really isn't needed. Supposedly it should never return false, thus negating the need for its existence. This change adds asserts whenever false is returned. If it makes it all the way through promotion testing, then I'll delete the ServiceUtil::visible_oop() code and the references to it.

I tested by running all jdk and hotspot tier1-3 tests.