Hi David,

Could you please say are you OK with the answers provided or there is something else that needs to be clarified?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Daniil

On 2/26/18 3:00 PM, daniil.x.ti...@oracle.com wrote:

On 2/26/18 12:16 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:
On 2/26/18 11:51 AM, daniil.x.ti...@oracle.com wrote:
Hi David and Sergei,

On 2/20/18 10:16 PM, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
Hi David,

On 2/20/18 20:02, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Daniil,

Good find on this!

What does the actual spec say about the length of things and how they may be split across multiple packets? Are we guaranteed that at most two packets will be involved?

The JDWP spec (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/docs/specs/jdwp/jdwp-spec.html) says nothing about splitting JDWP reply packets at all but the implementation limits the max number of the sent packets to two packets max. The implementation is dated back to the initial load that happened in 2007 and the information about the related Jira issue is missing.

open/src/jdk.jdwp.agent/share/native/libdt_socket/socketTransport.c

836    data = packet->type.cmd.data;
837    /* Do one send for short packets, two for longer ones */
838    if (data_len <= MAX_DATA_SIZE) {
839        memcpy(header + JDWP_HEADER_SIZE, data, data_len);
840        if (send_fully(socketFD, (char *)&header, JDWP_HEADER_SIZE + data_len) !=
841            JDWP_HEADER_SIZE + data_len) {
842            RETURN_IO_ERROR("send failed");
843        }
844    } else {
845        memcpy(header + JDWP_HEADER_SIZE, data, MAX_DATA_SIZE);
846        if (send_fully(socketFD, (char *)&header, JDWP_HEADER_SIZE + MAX_DATA_SIZE) !=
847            JDWP_HEADER_SIZE + MAX_DATA_SIZE) {
848            RETURN_IO_ERROR("send failed");
849        }
850        /* Send the remaining data bytes right out of the data area. */
851        if (send_fully(socketFD, (char *)data + MAX_DATA_SIZE,
852                       data_len - MAX_DATA_SIZE) != data_len - MAX_DATA_SIZE) {
853            RETURN_IO_ERROR("send failed");
854        }
855    }

Curious. First packet is limited to MAX_DATA_SIZE, 2nd packet has no size limit. What's the point then of splitting it then? Is there a desire to get the header transmitted in a smaller packet.

Chris

It looks as the goal was to somehow improve the responsiveness in case of the large data but I am not sure about this. I could not locate any traces in Jira related to this implementation.
Probably Serguei has some info what is the history behind this design.

 68     protected byte[] readJdwpString(DataInputStream ds) throws IOException {
  69         byte[] str = null;
  70         int len = ds.readInt();
  71         if (len > 0) {
  72             str = new byte[len];
  73             ds.read(str, 0, len);
  74         }

might we get a short-read of the string if it is split across multiple packets?

This and all other reads happen not directly from the socket input stream but rather from the  DataInputStream object that is constructed in  JdwpReply.initFromStream(InputStream) method. With the proposed fix we do ensure that the created DataInputStream object contains data from both packets in cases when the reply was split in two packets.

Nice catch!
Even though this fix is enough to resolve this problem now, there is a chance,
it can fail in the future when more modules are added to the platform.

I'm wondering if all these reads should be loops, ensuring we read the expected amount of data.

Since the implementation of the socket transport limits the max number of packets the reply might be split in to two packets I don't think we really need it here.
One further comment - not sure why we need the print out for when we do read multiple packets?
That would seem to be a debugging aid.

Yes, it helps to understand what happens.
Many tests have a lack of tracing which makes it harder to debug and understand failures.
That is correct.  This additional tracing was added to help to understand the possible failures in the future.

Thanks,
Serguei

Daniil