From: Mandy Chung <mandy.ch...@oracle.com>
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 10:09 AM
To: "Hohensee, Paul" <hohen...@amazon.com>
Cc: OpenJDK Serviceability <serviceability-dev@openjdk.java.net>,
"hotspot-gc-...@openjdk.java.net" <hotspot-gc-...@openjdk.java.net>
Subject: Re: RFR (M): 8207266: ThreadMXBean::getThreadAllocatedBytes() can be
quicker for self thread

On 9/3/19 12:38 PM, Hohensee, Paul wrote:

Minor update in new webrev http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~phh/8207266/webrev.05/.

I only reviewed the library side implementation that looks good.  I expect the
serviceability team to review the test and hotspot change.

Need a confirmatory review to push this. If I understand the rules correctly,
it doesn't need a Reviewer review since Mandy's already reviewed it, it just
needs a Committer review.

You need another reviewer to advice the following because I was not close to
the ThreadsList work.

2087   ThreadsListHandle tlh;

2088   JavaThread* java_thread =
tlh.list()->find_JavaThread_from_java_tid(thread_id);

2089

2090   if (java_thread != NULL) {

2091     return java_thread->cooked_allocated_bytes();

2092   }

This looks right to me.

test/jdk/com/sun/management/ThreadMXBean/ThreadAllocatedMemory.java

-                "ThreadAllocatedMemory is expected to be disabled");

+                "TEST FAILED: ThreadAllocatedMemory is expected to be
disabled");

Prepending "TEST FAILED" in exception message (in several places)

seems redundant since such RuntimeException is thrown and expected

a test failure.

+        // back-to-back calls shouldn't allocate any memory

+        size = mbean.getThreadAllocatedBytes(id);

+        size1 = mbean.getThreadAllocatedBytes(id);

+        if (size1 != size) {

Is there anything in the test can do to help guarantee this? I didn't

closely review this test.  The main thing I advice is to improve

the reliability of this test.  Put it in another way, we want to

ensure that this test change will pass all the time in various

test configuration.

Mandy