Hi Collen,

It looks good in general.
Thank you a lot for sorting this out!

Just a couple of comments.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/2019/8212160.01/webrev/src/hotspot/share/runtime/thread.hpp.frames.html
1993  protected:
1994   // Jvmti Events that cannot be posted in their current context.
1995   // ServiceThread uses this to collect deferred events from NonJava threads
1996   // that cannot post events.
1997   JvmtiDeferredEventQueue* _jvmti_event_queue;

As David I also have a concern about footprint of having the _jvmti_event_queue field in the Thread class.
I'm thinking if it'd be better to move this field into the JvmtiThreadState class.
Please, see jvmti_thread_state() and JvmtiThreadState::state_for(JavaThread *thread).

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/2019/8212160.01/webrev/src/hotspot/share/prims/jvmtiImpl.cpp.frames.html
 973 void JvmtiDeferredEvent::post(JvmtiEnv* env) {
 974   assert(_type == TYPE_COMPILED_METHOD_LOAD, "only user of this method");
 975   nmethod* nm = _event_data.compiled_method_load;
 976   JvmtiExport::post_compiled_method_load(env, nm);
 977 }

The JvmtiDeferredEvent::post name looks too generic as it posts compiled load events only.
Do you consider this function extended in the future to support more event types?

Thanks,
Serguei