On 2020-03-25 20:52, Chris Plummer wrote:
Hi Magus,

I haven't looked at the changes yet, other to see that there are many files touched, but after reading below (and only partly understanding since I don't know this area well), I was wondering if this issue wouldn't be better served with multiple passes made to fix the warnings. Start with a straight forward one where you are maybe only making one or two types of changes, but that affect a large number of files and don't cascade into other more complicated changes.
Unfortunately, many changes tends to cling together -- for instance, class Foo has a List fooList of say Integer. If I change that to List<Integer>, then also the constructor needs to change, and the getFooList() method, and that in turn propagate to users of getFooList() etc. I tried to do this piecewise but for every line that I fixed I just ended up getting more and more places that needed fixing.

On the other hand, the patch I present *is* indeed mostly trivial. Apart from the places I mentioned below, the fixes are straightforward. And I opted out of fixing the tricky ones by disabling the warnings. My intention is to file a follow-up bug for these @SuppressWarnings to be fixed properly. However, doing that is unfortunately beyond the scope of what I'm able to do, since I do not have enough domain knowledge. The fixes in this patch is more or less "stupid" applications of adding generics with the correct type. (Basically, what I've done is to locate a problematic type, like fooList, and check the type of elements inserted and extracted of it, and created it as a generic of that type. Boring, but not really difficult.)

I realize the webrev can look daunting. Perhaps start by looking at the patch file, that will quickly show what kind of changes this is about. Also, 1/3 of the patch is just about updating those darned copyright years. :-(

This will get a lot of the noise out of the way, and then we can focus on some of the harder issues you bring up below.

As for testing, I think the following list will capture all of them, but can't say for sure:

open/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa
open/test/hotspot/jtreg/resourcehogs/serviceability/sa
open/test/jdk/sun/tools/jhsdb
open/test/jdk/sun/tools/jstack
open/test/jdk/sun/tools/jmap
open/test/hotspot/jtreg/gc/metaspace/CompressedClassSpaceSizeInJmapHeap.java open/test/hotspot/jtreg/compiler/ciReplay/TestSAClient.java open/test/hotspot/jtreg/compiler/ciReplay/TestSAServer.java
Thank you! I'll run these through our test system.

/Magnus

Chris