On 3/31/20 4:55 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:
On 3/31/20 1:32 PM, coleen.phillim...@oracle.com wrote:

On 3/31/20 12:19 PM, Poonam Parhar wrote:
Hello Coleen,

Does the removal of this code only impact the 'reattach' functionality, and it does not affect any commands available in 'clhsdb' once it is attached to a core file? If that's true, then I think it should be okay to remove this code.

Hi Poonam,  Thank you for answering. Yes, this patch only removes the reattach functionality.  I tried out the other clhsdb commands from your wiki page, and they worked fine, including object and heap inspection.
I'm trying to understand exactly when all these static initializes are triggered. Is it only after you do an attach?

The implementation of clhsdb reattach is exactly the same as doing a detach followed by an attach to the same process. I'm not sure how much value it has, but I think in general the removal of this code means you can't detach and then attach to anything, even a different pid. So "detach" might as well become "detach-and-exit", because your clhsdb session is dead once you detach. Do we really want to do this?

Well, that was my question. It seems like you could just exit and start up jhsdb again and that's more like something someone would do just as easily.  Given the use cases that we've seen from sustaining, this appears to be unneeded functionality.

The original mail was proposing adding more code to work around the deprecation messages.  It seems like more code should not be added for something that is unused.

thanks,
Coleen

Chris

Thanks,