Hi Chris,

The fix,  in general,  looks good to me.

Some small comments for
src/jdk.hotspot.agent/share/classes/sun/jvm/hotspot/runtime/amd64/AMD64CurrentFrameGuess.java:
   1) Imports at lines 30 and 35 are not used and could be removed.

        30 import sun.jvm.hotspot.interpreter.*;
        35 import sun.jvm.hotspot.utilities.*;

  2) Local variable "end" defined at line 189 is not used.

      189     Address end = sp.addOffsetTo(regionInBytesToSearch);

No new webrev is required.

Thanks,
Daniil

On 6/25/20, 1:55 PM, "serviceability-dev on behalf of Chris Plummer"
<serviceability-dev-r...@openjdk.java.net on behalf of
chris.plum...@oracle.com> wrote:

    Ping #2. I still need one more reviewer (Thanks for the review, Dan). I
    updated the webrev based on Dan's comments:

    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~cjplummer/8244383/webrev.01/

    I can still make the simplification mentioned below if necessary.

    thanks,

    Chris

    On 6/23/20 11:29 AM, Chris Plummer wrote:
> [...]
    >> register is in this code, SA assumes the topmost frame is an
    >> interpreter frame.
    >>
    >> The first issue with this interpreter frame assumption is if we
    >> haven't actually pushed the frame yet, then the current frame is the
    >> caller's frame, and could be compiled. But since SA thinks it's
    >> interpreted, later on it tries to convert the frame->bcp to a BCI,
    >> but frame->bcp is only valid for interpreter frames. Thus the
    >> "illegal BCI" failures. If the previous frame happened to be
    >> interpreted, then the existing SA code works fine.
    >>
    >> The other state of frame pushing that was problematic was when the
    >> new frame had been pushed, but frame->method and frame->bcp were not
    >> setup yet. This also would lead to "illegal BCI" later on because
    >> garbage would be stored in these locations.
    >>
    >> Fixing the above problems requires trying to determine the state of
    >> the frame push through a series of checks, and then adapting what is
    >> considered to be the current frame based on the outcome of the
    >> checks. The first things checked is that frame->method is valid (we
    >> can successfully instantiate a wrapper for the Method* without
    >> failure) and that frame->bcp is within the method. If both these pass
    >> then we can use the frame as-is.
    >>
    >> If the above checks fail, then we try to determine whether the issue
    >> is that the frame is not yet pushed and the current frame is actually
    >> compiled, or the frame has been pushed but not yet initialized. This
    >> is done by first getting the return address from the stack or RAX
    >> (it's location depends on how far along we are in the entry code) and
    >> comparing this to what is stored in frame->return_addr. If they are
    >> the same, then we have pushed the frame but not yet initialized it.
    >> In this case we use the previous frame (senderSP() and senderFP()) as
    >> the current frame since the current frame is not yet initialized. If
    >> the return address check fails, then we assume the new frame is not
    >> yet pushed, and and treat the current frame as compiled, even though
    >> PC points into the interpreter (we replace PC with RAX in this case).
    >>
    >> Comments in the code pretty well explain all the above, so it is
    >> probably easier to follow the logic in the code along with the
    >> comments rather than apply my above description to the code.
    >>
    >> I should add that it's very rare that we ever get into this special
    >> error handling code. This bug was very hard to reproduce initially. I
    >> was only able to make progress with reproducing and debugging by
    >> inserting delay loops in various spots in the code generated by
    >> TemplateInterpreterGenerator::generate_normal_entry(). By doing this
    >> I was able to reproduce the issue quite easily and hit all the logic
    >> in the new code I've added.
    >>
    >> The fix is basically entirely contained within
    >> AMD64CurrentFrameGuess.java. The rest of the changes are minor:

src/jdk.hotspot.agent/share/classes/sun/jvm/hotspot/runtime/amd64/AMD64CurrentFrameGuess.java

src/jdk.hotspot.agent/share/classes/sun/jvm/hotspot/runtime/x86/X86Frame.java

    >> -Added getInterpreterFrameBCP(), which is now needed by
    >> AMD64CurrentFrameGuess.java
    >> -I also simplified some code by using the existing
    >> getInterpreterFrameMethod()
    >>  rather than replicating inline what it does.

src/jdk.hotspot.agent/share/classes/sun/jvm/hotspot/debugger/bsd/amd64/BsdAMD64CFrame.java