On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 08:14:47 GMT, Richard Reingruber <rr...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> @reinrich did I mess something up when merging this in?
>
> Stack frames are counted beginning at 0. The top frame has depth 0. So object
> deoptimization happens in the top frame.
>
> Still the used method is not optimal because it assumes that objects of
> frames within the given depth are accessed and their escape state is changed.
> But potentially caller methods optimized on the escape state therefore it
> searches for caller frames passing ArgEscape objects and deoptimizes these
> too. With ForceEarlyReturn no objects are accessed but it is so uncommon that
> I did not bother optimizing this. Should I?

@robehn you haven't messed up. Hope I havn't either. I've tested

==============================
Test summary
==============================
   TEST                                              TOTAL  PASS  FAIL ERROR
   jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg:hotspot_serviceability     197   197     0     0
   jtreg:test/jdk:jdk_svc                             1176  1176     0     0
   jtreg:test/jdk:jdk_jdi                              174   174     0     0
   jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg:vmTestbase_nsk_jdi        1141  1141     0     0
   jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg:vmTestbase_nsk_jvmti       648   648     0     0
   jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg:vmTestbase_nsk_jdwp        113   113     0     0
TEST SUCCESS
jdk_jdi now includes jdk/com/sun/jdi/EATests.java which tests
PopFrame/ForceEarlyReturn with object reallocation with and without
reallocation failures.