On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 18:35:52 GMT, Thomas Stuefe <stu...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> ... so the problem would be that the compiler does not believe us that
> millisecs will be always <1000. And there is no way to truncate output for
> numerical format specifiers.

Interesting, and a reasonable explanation. Odd this doesn't get caught by the
64-bit build

> One solution could be to first print the millisecs to a buffer large enough
> to hold MAX_INT. And then print that buffer as a string, which can be
> truncated with precision.
>
> ```
> char tmp[10 + 1];
> snprintf(tmp, sizeof(tmp), "%d", millisecs);
> snprintf(tbuf, ltbuf, "%s.%.3s %s", timestamp_date_time, tmp,
> timestamp_timezone);
> ```
>
> That may be enough to shut the compiler up.

It'd be interesting to see if statically limiting the value printed to be <
1000 would also convince the compiler, e.g.
`snprintf(tbuf, ltbuf, "%s.%.3d %s", timestamp_date_time, millisecs % 1000,
timestamp_timezone);`

(I'm not sure a perfect solution is worth our while here, but seeing we've
gotten this far down the rabbit hole..)