I have never seen a need for a non-agent to define a class in a
non-existing package. Injection is typically required if you want to work
with package-private types or methods which is really only relevant for the
Spring framework, but even there I do not think it's such a big area that
it cannot be addressed. Non-agent code generation is typically the use of
proxies where the code generation framework is sharing a class loader with
the user code and there is normally a way to weave it. Agents on the other
hand have to deal with unknown class loader hierarchies and it can be
necessary to inject code into a common class loader parent without
instrumenting classes in this loader or even knowing any classes of this
loader. It's really agents where this is required and therefore
Instrumentation is a good target for such an addition.

I have never heard about a 'discussion [that] will eventually lead into
putting at least some restrictions on agents loaded into a running VM' and
as a heavy user and someone who has helped to write a long row of
commercial agents and followed them into their use in production and who
has seen how helpful they are in reducing deployment complexity, I can only
hope that you will change your mind on this. Dynamically attached agents
must already run as the same user as the target process. If you are
concerned about agents 'illegally intruding' your Java process, I'd say you
have bigger security issues at hand and it is already possible to disable
dynamic attachment if you want to avoid it. Dynamic attachment has become
pretty much the default approach for a lot of Java tooling in production
environments. It has proven to be very convenient if a for example a
tracing tool is scanning Java processes to attach to them, rather than
requiring the deployment operators to be explicitly set up command line
arguments which are easily forgotten if they only need to be added in some
environments. This reduction in complexity for operations has literally
saved millions of dollars to Java users and Oracle customers. This makes
Java a popular choice, especially compared to languages such as Go where
this is naturally not possible. It's easy and there is no record of this
feature doing any harm. I would not see any good reason to restrict this by
default.

That said, even if it was restricted in the future, this would mean that
some of the Instrumentation API methods will throw exceptions in the
future. There would not be much difference if an introduced defineClass
method would do the same.