From: Guillaume Nodet [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 October 2006 2:18 PM
To: servicemix-dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Location to host JBI components

I'd like to start a thread about where JBI components that
are contributed by users should be hosted.  I see several
choices:
  * host them at ASF in the ServiceMix svn tree
  * host them somewhere else
  * do not host them
  * provide a nice catalog
     of available components like http://geronimoplugincentral.org/

I think the last point is necessary as we at least need maybe
not a full blown web site but a list of available JBI plugins.
As for hosting components, I have pondered this a bit.
There may be different cases: for example the ODE project
has a JBI component that they host, and that's fine.  I'd like
tuscany to provide a SE, but they don't seem to have the
bandwidth / will to work on that currently.  For small components
donated by non developers, I think we should try to host them
at the ASF if there is no license problems and provide the authors
will committer access if they maintain the component (should we
put them in the sandbox first ?).

It also leads to several somewhat related questions:
  * should all components have the same lifecycle than the container ?
  * if we restructure the svn source tree as stated in a previous
discussion,
      we could easily split the component lifecycle from the container
      lifecycle (note that the container has had much less changes than the
      components)
  * which components should we ship in the distribution
       or should we ship any components at all ? if we split the container
      from the components, we could have separate downloads for
      components / examples.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet