Thanks for the response.

Yes, I did that.  What it ended up being was a bad DCR file that I was sending.

Darrin

-------------- Original message from "Mr. Cristian D. Romanescu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: --------------

Have you tried to flush the buffer after writing the data?

out.flushBuffer(); ...

Darrin Smith wrote:
I have an application where I need to load a 3D image based on a user selection that takes place in a JSP.

The Flash/Shockwave plugin will have a value that relates to a servlet that will load the image and send it back to the plugin.

So far, I can get the plugin to load just fine and contact the servlet which loads the image and sends it back, but the Flash/Shcokcwave plugin never completes loading (just loops a progress bar saying that it is loading).

My question is, can dynamic loading to a Flash/Shockwave component be done from a servlet like this?

If so, can someone please point me to an example of what needs to be done to send the image back?

Here is what I am trying in the servlet that, although no exceptions are thrown and the file gets read in correctly, does not seem to provide the plugin what it needs. Can anyone see what I may be doing wrong?

protected void processRequest(HttpServletRequest request,
               HttpServletResponse response)
               throws ServletException,
               IOException
{

  String ct=request.getParameter("contenttype");

  if ((ct==null)||(ct.equals("")))
  {
  ct="application/x-director";
  }

  try
  {
    ServletOutputStream out = response.getOutputStream();
    response.setContentType(ct);

    byte[] image = getImage();

    if(image == null)
   {
      System.out.println("NULL IMAGE");
   }
   els e
   {
      System.out.println("Returning 3D image" );
    }

    out.write(image);
 }
 catch (Exception e)
 {
    System.out.println(e.getMessage());
    e.printStackTrace();
  }
}

private byte[] getImage()
{
    byte[] result = null;

    String fileLocation = "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/Creator/Projects/MyApp/build/volc_hw.dcr";
    File f = new File(fileLocation);

    System.out.println("Trying to read from: " fileLocation);

    result = new byte[(int)f.length()];

    try
   {
       FileInputStream in = new FileInputStream(fileLocation);

      //R ead file into byte array
      in.read(result);
   }
   catch(Exception ex)
   {
       log("Exception caught: " ex.getMessage());
    }

    return result;
}
___________________________________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and include in the body of the message "signoff SERVLET-INTEREST".