Why don't you have an initialization servlet that is set to load on startup
and whose init method calls another method that actually loads the state
information and puts it in application scope. You can also code the doGet()
method of the servlet to call the initialization method. Whenever you want
to reinitialize the state info, you would invoke the servlet. You might
want to make sure there are no other users on the site when the state
information is refreshed so that users don't access partially refreshed data.

-Richard