The API isn't based around GenericServlet, it's based around Servlet.
  (*Chris*)

On 9/1/05, Nic Ferrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chris Pratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Actually, what I remember from the early days of Servlets, it is because the
> Servlet API is interface based, and you can't specify constructors in a Java
> interface. The developers decided to use a method that they can specify in
> the interface contract.
> (*Chris*)

Well, it's academic... but remember that GenericServlet is a class,
not an interface so we could have used that.

Applet's are also classes and they have a similar init method.

The real reason, as I said, is lifecycle management.

Nic