I've done the power flush of the steering fluid trick and it sometimes
helps.

Very carefully, jack the car up and disconnect the drain line from the
rack and put the end in a bucket or drain pan.  Place another line from
the rack's return line into the bucket (cuts down on the mess)

Put the car back on the ground and start it up.  Have an assistant move
the wheels back and forth while you keep the fluid topped off.

Best case you get the excess crap fluid out and things work better or
worst case you still have to change the rack/pump.  If you do make sure
the pump is matched to the rack.  A pump configured for a slow ratio
rack will run out of pressure/volume on a fast ratio rack and a fast
ratio pump will have too much pressure/volume on a slow ratio rack.

Good luck,
Stefan Mullikin
Portland, OR
Co-Founder