Joe,

I visited with him, along with Dennis Cote, in November 2004, during the SEMA
Convention.

We had only planned on being there about 2 hours, but, we ended up staying
there all day.

He was definitely proud of the Shelby Dodges and it showed.  Lots of
visitors/potential customers wanted to talk to Bob in person or on the
telephone.  He always came back to us after his business with that person was
concluded.  If he introduced us to anyone during that day, he would always
mention that here were a couple of guys that were into the Shelby Dodges.  You
could see on some of their faces that they didn't know what he was talking
about, but, they would go along and say something polite.

Same thing when he would introduce us around to the various employees at Shelby
American.  He would introduce us as Shelby Dodge guys.  They would smile and be
polite, but, you could almost hear their thoughts, "There are people that like
those cars?".

While we were waiting for Bob in the lobby, we were perused the Gift Shop, to
pass the time.  We overheard a bit of conversation between a lady and a man.
The lady was, I believe, in charge of the Shelby Heart Fund.  There was a
mention of the Shelby Dodges.  I can't remember the conversation now, but, I
recall her attitude as being, "Why would anyone want one of those Dodges?",
with the gentleman chuckling along with her.  I really wanted to say something,
but, decided not to make a show of it.  Basically, that was the only negative
thing I can recall during the whole visit.  Really disappointing that someone
associated with the SHF, which was created, I believe, at the same time as the
Shelby Dodges, would say what she said.  I guess that means that the former
person associated with SHF, Herlita Natividad, isn't doing it anymore.  At
least she drove a 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT with a SHF Bumper Sticker on it.

I'll tell you what, if there was ever a time to show the Ford guys that Shelby
Dodges existed, it would be at the parking lot at Shelby American during the
SEMA Convention in early November.  Picture this, 30 Shelby Dodges of all
varieties in the parking lot of Shelby American during SEMA. SEMA attendees,
including the International Attendees, pulling up in the buses to see the
latest Ford Mustang and Ford Cobra incarnations that Shelby American has to
offer, looking at lesser known Shelby Dodges in the parking lot.  I think that
would make a statement.  Not likely to happen, but, it sounds cool.

Bob even insisted on treating us out to lunch at his favorite lunch spot just
because we went through the trouble of visiting and talking Shelby Dodges.
What a guy!!

With Bob's passing away, I sincerely doubt you will find anyone left at Shelby
American, interested or wanting to talk about the Shelby Dodges.  Except for
Carroll Shelby, if he's there, and not on the go.

Me and Dennis did see Carroll, prior to us leaving.  He went back to SA right
after closing time, probably to miss the crowds.  He had been at the SEMA
Convention the whole day doing lots of interviews.  We did get a photo with CS
and BM before we left.  CS drove his '89 CSX-VNT #001 to SEMA.  :)

Ray

<snip>