I had a similar problem with my GLHT.  I tested all of the wiring
between the LM, PM, and alternator. I tested the alternator both in the
car (by full-fielding it), and at the parts store. I measured the
outputs from the LM to the PM and they were within spec.  It turned out
to be that the voltage regulator in the PM failed open...most of the
time.  I would still get occasional shots of juice, but that eventually
tapered off to none at which point the problem was clearly evident.
It's somewhat annoying to have to buy an entire PM for a $5 voltage
regulator.