This is not specifically a KDE problem.  I think it is a change in the
freedesktop.org tray
specification.  For instance, cairo-dock also has the "new" tray system and you
can also add the
"classic" one.

There are several work arounds I have used:

1. add the KDE 3.5 kicker panel to a different screen edge from the plasma one.
2. run cairo dock and add the classic tray.
3. run the standalone tray, I think it is "ktray".  There is actually more than
one standalone tray
that will run on KDE, if you do the search.