On 22/10/2022 00:15, Eric Levy via shifter-users wrote:
Hello.

I have provisioned Xpra on a host with EndeavorOS, based on Arch Linux,
and attempted to open a basic connection from a client, through SSH.

The server version is v4.3.3-r0, which is th version currently provided
by the Arch "community" repository. The client has version 4.4.1-r35,
from the project repository for Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, once the connection is established, the application menu
is never populated with installed desktop applications. Instead, the
entry, named "Start", from the menu provided by the Xpra tray icon,
remains disabled.

The server log (/run/user/<uid>/xpra/<n>/server.log) offers some
information, as seen in the following except:

watching for applications menu changes in:
  '/usr/share/applications'
Error parsing xdg menu data:
  ParsingError in file '/etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications.menu', File not
found
  this is either a bug in python-xdg,
  or an invalid system menu configuration
From now on, this error message will include a link to the ticket:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/2174

TLDR: your OS fails to set the environment variables needed for xpra to
be able to load desktop menus using the xdg library.

Please use the issue tracker for such problems - or in this case, perhaps bug your distribution instead.

Cheers,
Antoine

KDE is not installed on the system. The only desktop environment ever
installed is XFCE.

I have connected from the same client to hosts with similar
provisioning without such problems.

For the record, the system package "python-xdg", named in the log
message, originally was not installed on the server. However, the
message remains even after I installed it manually.

The most important matter of course is how to prevent Xpra from relying
on a desktop environment different from the only one available.

I am also wondering, however, if an Xpra session is bound to a
particular desktop environment, then in cases in which a server has
multiple environments installed, how may the user creating a connection
from the client select the one that is personally preferred over the
others?