Hi All,

I have some questions (and assumptions (perhaps wrong)) relating to
Multi-ISP setup. after reading www.shorewall.net/multiisp.html (and FAQ 57
and FAQ 58) also the the lartc docs. A similar setup to the diagram in the
howto, but with a DMZ as well as a LAN. (4 nic's). I have been using
Shorewall for awhile now and I believe the firewalling side is fine.

the setup :

debian sarge, shorewall 3.2.3
3 DSL (ppp0,ppp1,ppp2) providers from the same ISP. (which means they have
the same gateway, but different static ISP's)
1 DMZ (eth2)- to host websites and email from
1 LAN (eth3) - for the office PC's

the Plan :

* to balance outgoing web traffic to ease the load

My assumptions :

* the purpose of multi-homing is to share outgoing bandwidth load, i.e to
direct outgoing traffic up a link different perhaps to where the request
came in, or to balance outgoing traffic.

* 'tcrules' is used to decide (the routing rules) of which outgoing provider
to send a packet to.
* 'providers' decides how to connection mark the incoming requests.

My questions :

* the track option. Track is used to mark a connection so that it returns
out the same interface the request came in on. What does this mean if the
plan is to balance to outgoing traffic ? i.e. send the replies up a
different link ?

In the section 'what an entry in the providers file does'

[snip] If you specify track, then connections which have had at least one
packet arrive on the interface listed in the INTERFACE column have their
connection mark set to the value in the MARK column. In the PREROUTING
chain, packets with a connection mark have their packet mark set to the
value of the associated connection mark; packets marked in this way bypass
any prerouting rules that you create in /etc/shorewall/tcrules. This ensures
that packets associated with connections from outside are always routed out
of the correct interface. [snip]

* is this saying that a provider with 'track' specfied, does not get told
where to go by tcrules ?

[snip] The bottom line is that if you want traffic to go out through a
particular provider then you must mark that traffic with the provider's MARK
value in /etc/shorewall/tcrules and you must do that marking in the
PREROUTING chain. [snip]

* This has me confused, the first snip appears to say the track option
bypasses any pre-routing rules that are created by tcrules, the second snip
appears to say if you want to direct traffic with tcrules you must do it in
the pre-routing chain.

* I believe there is a reason to send requests out the interface they came
in, something to with ISP's and IP Spoofing protection ?  So how does a
multi-home firewall fix this to balance outgoing traffic ?

* I am thinking I am missing something fundamental here and would love to be
set straight.

providers :

telstra1 1 1 main ppp0 track,balance eth2,eth3
telstra2 2 2 main ppp1 track,balance eth2,eth3
telstra3 3 3 main ppp2 track,balance eth2,eth3

I get an error with the eth2,eth3 at the end, I am not quite sure what they
do.

the 3 uplinks have the static ip addresses but share the same gateway.

Regards,

Richard Hatherly
Ritech Computing Services