Scott Ruckh wrote:

> Oct 15 00:25:17 shorewall-host Shorewall:inet2all:DROP: IN=eth2 OUT= MAC=
> SRC=a.b.c.d DST=239.255.67.250 LEN=172 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=0 DF
> PROTO=UDP SPT=48421 DPT=16680 LEN=152
>
> This is not the same log from above, but it still applies.  The source IP
> address is the IP address given to me by my ISP.
>
>> b) Understand the physical topology of the network.
>
> 3-network interface configuration. eth2=inet zone
>
>> c) Understand the definitions of the zones involved (do you really have
>> both
>> 'net' and 'inet' zones?).
>
> Nope this was me providing poor information.  A good catch on your part.
> My internet zone is actually inet, but as everyone uses net I was trying
> to comply, but instead made things more confusing.
>
>> d) Understand your routing.
> Farily typical 3-interface configuration.  The policy going out for all
> zones is Accept.  Policy for inbound traffic is to block all.  Inbound
> connections are controlled through rules.
>
> I don't understand why my inet zone is the source address and the
> destination is a non-defined address (presumably an internet address), and
> the traffic is going through the firewall and being blocked.  Obviously I
> do not see much of this type of traffic, and do not understand what is
> going on.

Your firewall is sending a multi-cast (which it is also receiving) and
it is getting logged (the destination IP is in 224.0.0.0/4). This
usually means that you need to set PKTTYPE=No in shorewall.conf as your
Netfilter 'pkttype' implementation is not matching that packet as
multi-cast.

Shoreline,     \ http://shorewall.net
Washington USA  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]